Pics of my chins--long overdue.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LovinTheSmallAndFurry

Took me awhile, but I finally got some proud pics of my babies.

The cage essentials are much thanks to Brittany, TwilightChinchillas, Whimsy, Myt, FuzziesKingdom, Abednara, SamiJami...and if I've forgotten anyone, I apologize and please raise your hand!

Sappho, not long after I got her--4 months old.
Sapphohammock.jpg

Lao Tsu--3 months... (you'll notice the first pics were pretty bare--I had to research what to get first!)
Confucius.jpg

Already a ham
Sapphoupclose.jpg

Couldn't resist sharing this one--one of the few "baby" pics of her I have
Sapphoposing.jpg

Lao Tsu--about 5 months (sorry this one is so large---will edit the next ones to smaller size)
Yukipuki.jpg

Last edited:
Last ones...

Cooling off--Sorry this wouldn't resize but I had to share it!
Saffwhiskersfeet-1.jpg

Love the way her fur looks in this one.
Saffapatootie-2-1.jpg

Can you tell I love my tunnel?
Miyukitube-1.jpg

It's Sexy Legs Time
SexylegsSaff-1.jpg

Rare to get a shot like this.
FavoriteMiyukipic-1.jpg

Last edited:
Your babies are very cute. Good job getting pictures posted. :)

How old are your pictures? I am asking because I see that your chin is sitting on wire on the bottom of his cage with very large spacing. (Recommended spacing for wire on the bottoms of cages is 1/2" X 1/2".) Those cages are awesome, but meant to have some sort of pan underneath the chin's feet. I'm just concerned that legs will be caught and hurt or broken in that cage bottom. If you don't have "flooring" yet, some options are the plastic pans that come with the FN (possibly covered with a fleece sleeve if your chins chew plastic), a metal pan, or some people use tile. I apologize if you have already fixed the floor, but I felt I should bring it up just in case...

Last edited:
Beautiful pics. haha love the feet and the sexy legs shots. What a poser!!

I'm 100% behind Nikki on this. Those shelves are an accident waiting to happen. I honestly can't believe a leg hasn't been broken before this. While your pictures are really cute, all I can see in mind's eye is a dangling chin with bone protruding.

Very cute pics, may I use the first one on my website?

I know you haven't had a chance to respond to the flooring question yet, so I'm going to share this link with you and anyone else who may be reading. If you've already fixed the flooring please disregard, but this may help someone else. Metal pans can be ordered from this website. They fit the Ferret and Critter nation cages perfectly. They're a great alternative to the plastic pans that come with the cages.

http://www.bassequipment.com/Cages/Ferret+Pans/default.aspx

They are adorable, I am glad you shared some photos! I hope that you can get some bass pans because as everyone else has noted, those spaces are very dangerous for little chin feet/legs. I hope you post more photos soon!

I'm 100% behind Nikki on this. Those shelves are an accident waiting to happen. I honestly can't believe a leg hasn't been broken before this. While your pictures are really cute, all I can see in mind's eye is a dangling chin with bone protruding.

The first couple of pictures (where the cage is bare) are about four months old. I got fleece and lined the split levels of the cage not long after I got the hammock. At the time I only had the bottom level put together, so there wasn't as much height for them to jump. I've only had the shelves a few weeks---I didn't want to get any until they were old enough--and big enough--to jump around safely.

Also, those shelves have been adjusted in the last couple of weeks. Before they were hung very low (I didn't want to take any chances).

If you'll notice in the later pics, there is fleece lining both floors.

Thanks for the concerns.

Last edited:
Very cute pics, may I use the first one on my website?

I know you haven't had a chance to respond to the flooring question yet, so I'm going to share this link with you and anyone else who may be reading. If you've already fixed the flooring please disregard, but this may help someone else. Metal pans can be ordered from this website. They fit the Ferret and Critter nation cages perfectly. They're a great alternative to the plastic pans that come with the cages.

http://www.bassequipment.com/Cages/Ferret+Pans/default.aspx

You absolutely may use the first pic----use any pic you want that has your hammock in it, :)

The first couple of pictures (where the cage is bare) are about four months old. I got fleece and lined the split levels of the cage not long after I got the hammock. At the time I only had the bottom level put together, so there wasn't as much height for them to jump. I've only had the shelves a few weeks---I didn't want to get any until they were old enough--and big enough--to jump around safely.

Also, those shelves have been adjusted in the last couple of weeks. Before they were hung very low (I didn't want to take any chances).

If you'll notice in the later pics, there is fleece lining both floors.

Thanks for the concerns.

I think everyone is concerned about the floors. They need to have some sort of pan; preferably metal but plastic will do. Chins can dig under the fleece liners and still have access to the dangerous large spacing of the bars. The fleece liners are for placing on top of the pan to be used in place of shavings, not to be used as the actual floor.

I have seen plenty of pics on here of people with fleece liners and no pans underneath (and chins access the spacing on the walls of the cage as much as they do on the flooring)--as well as no liners period in an FN--but I am not about to start debating it with anyone so don't waste your time.

As a side note, for those of you who felt the need to join the bandwagon of the original mod (DragonFly)'s post regarding suggestions to my cage, it isn't necessary. Believe it or not, I actually only need to read one post to get the gist.

LovinTheSmallAndFurry,

Self policing is against the forum rules. If you have a problem with what someone has said, please use the (!) button in the top right corner of the post and the moderator and admins will deal with it as they see fit.

There is no reason to get snarky over people being genuinely concerned about your chins. I, actually, have not seen many people with just liners over the huge wires and if I did, I would say something too. As for the walls? The chins aren't walking on the walls. Having a pan with no liner is not concerning at all. There is no huge space for a leg to slip into to get broken.

Back