Picking out a Hedgie

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gabbygirl

I am considering adopting a 8 month old hedgie who needs a new home. I've never owned a hedgie before, but I have done my research and I feel prepared to handle the responsibility. The owners said that they were having allergic reactions to him, and so they weren't able to give him enough attention. They think that this may be the reason that he is a bit offish and shy. I am meeting up with them in a few days to make sure that he is healthy before making my final decision. Despite how nice the owners sound, I feel a bit anxious about what they told me. For example, they told me that they bought him from a breeder in Oregon, but also said that the man who gave the hedgie to them didn't tell them the name of the breeder. When I asked about Wobbly Hedgehog Syndrom, they said that the breeder didn't have a history with their hedgies having it, but I don't know how they could be sure if they don't know the name of the breeder.

I don't know if I'm just being paranoid because I'm a first-time mommy, or if these are normal concerns to have. I don't want to fall in love with the little guy only to have my heart broken. I would appreciate any advice on how to approach a situation like this, and how to make sure that he's healthy before I bring him home. Thank you!

This is a tricky one. It is hard to tell if an animal is fully healthy and despite all the precautions, all animals get sick. It is more important that the hedgie is a good fit for you (temperment wise) since illness may be difficult to figure out unless you find a good reputable breeder and buy direct. Even then, there are risks. My opinion is that if you think in sickness and in health, this hedgoehog is a good fit, then that may be the best you can do. A wellness check once you get the hog, and obviously providing all necessities to prevent illness will go a long way. Genetic disorders are sometimes hard to avoid and there may be quite a number of years before they impact anyway.

I am also worried about how well we will match. I know that when I first meet him, he is going to be pretty scared and shy, but as we bond more he might start to open up to me.
I don't expect him to ever be super-friendly like a dog would be, but I don't want him to be aggressive towards me. In your experiences, what are some initial signs that a hedgie is not a good match?

What is your expectation of a hedgehog? Just curious as it may help us help you not make a mistake.

When I pick up a new hedgehog from their previous owner I can usually get a good idea of how quickly they will bond with me by how they react when picked up.

If the hedgehog huffs, curls up and uncurls while you are holding it chatting with the old owner, you will likely have a hedgehog that will bond with you if you spend time with it each day. The hedgehog may initially curl back up, but if they start to look around and try to explore, its a good sign.

If the hedgehog curls up, huffs, and CLICKS the entire time... you are likely in for a long ride with a hedgehog that may never fully trust you.

There are a lot of in the middles, and of course hedgehogs that surprise you. But for the most part you can often judge how trusting they currently are, and where they will be in the future by how quickly they uncurl and if they explore or continue to curl back up at every movement.

I just met him, and he was a total sweetheart! When I picked him up, he only stayed curled up a few moments before sniffing and crawling on me. He would hiss a little if I tried to touch his back, but that's to be expected. The owners said that he was more relaxed with me than he was when they handled him. They're meeting with a couple more potential parents, but they said that they think I'm a perfect match! I'll find out in the next couple of days if I'll be his new mommy!

He's all mine! I picked him up on Friday and he's been acting pretty fine since. He did have a couple green poops this morning, but it's been regular since then. I'm pretty sure it's due to the stress of a new home.

I'm a bit worried because my family visited me today and he acted a bit weird. I've only had him for a day, but I can already tell some of his pet peeves. I held him while my younger siblings touched him on his back. Usually he would pop and hiss at the slightest touch on his back, but he didn't do anything. When I held him later on, after they had left, he explored me for a bit and acted like he was fine. Then all of a sudden he bit me pretty hard and wouldn't let go. Instead of pulling away, I just waited until he let go, and thankfully he didn't break the skin. I found it really weird because he didn't make any noises while he did, and acted like nothing had happened at all. I kept him out for a few more minutes so that he didn't associate biting with getting to go back in his cage.

Thinking about it now, could he have been trying to tell me that he was stressed and ready to go back in the cage? Or did he just think I was noms? I gave him a meal worm earlier, so could he have smelled it on me? I don't feel like he bite me out of anger, so I am worried that he isn't feeling well. Any advice to calm my new mommy nerves would be greatly appreciated! I just want to give my baby the best!

firstly congrats on your new little guy! i have my own little three month old boy who was fantastically calm when i got him quite happily exploring and settling in quite easily at home. yet i have also been bitten quite similar to that. i was holding my little guy no huffs or clicking and he is quite happily snuffling away at my fingers and then clamping down quite hard. from my limited experience he has only done this when my hands have smelt different, like when i havent used the same soap or hand cream and have been handling food. with my little guy i think it was just testing to see if i was food and he hasnt bitten me in the weeks since. when i handle him i make sure i wash my hands with the same soap each time so its a familiar scent.

i learnt not to take it personally only now i have the joys of him quilling and being extra huffy and clicking at me! =D im sure he will return to that lovely little boy i brought home soon enough lol

Back