Phenobarbital for seizures?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisbradley6

just a little chin-crazy!
has anyone tried this in a chin with seizures? i'm trying to figure out the correct dosage for my guy. 0.1 mL 2X a day seems to be too much for him as it makes him too sleepy.

i know i will hear a million opinions about it.... but does anyone have actual EXPERIENCE with their chin on this drug?

Has the cause of the seizures been diagnosed? How often are the seizures? Phenobarbital is pretty harsh as a treatment if the seizures are not daily, valium is a good choice if they are not frequent and there is no known cause.

Last edited:
The seizures were pretty close to "daily". They were mild but now under control.

He has an neurological problem that upsets his balance/walking/jumping, which we think the seizures is linked to. He's had every test done in the world and it's still not figured out. So this was our last option to make him comfortable.

I tried .1ml (he got TOO sleepy!) and .05ml (not enough, seizures still happening but less). I settled for an inbetween and give him about .075ml which seems to be working. He is a small chin, about 550g so perhaps this will change if he gains weight.

Back