People with a lot of chins

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessica

I just was wondering for the people who've got over 200 chinchillas. That is an awful lot of chins to count. Do you actually spend the time to count them individually? I 'd be done with with counting if I had over 30. I'm sort of reminded of that master card commercial with the multiplying bunnies for some reason. Or even that Star Trek with the tribbles. Fuzzy round animals everywhere with very exasperated humans. lol

The problem with counting chins is they move around and I easily loose count. I would get frustrated and just say "Forget it there is just a lot of these!". Unless they could be broken down into colors and then numbers of males and females. But still that's a lot of chins to keep track of.

There's no need to do a daily count. If you already know how many you have, then add in babies born, it's not that hard. I don't count by color. I don't say I have 50 ebs, 90 whites, 100 standards or whatever. I have X amount of chins.

If you want them broken down into male and female, that would take a little bit longer, but to do a herd count that doesn't take long at all because you go cage by cage and add them up.

If you have a program it will give you a count, I do not keep a running count, but I can count how many I have where in my head.

I don't have 200....but even around the 60 mark I do not keep an exact number. However, I know my exact cage layout, how many animals are in each run (some runs are full, others are not) so i can easily count how many in my head if I need to.

I see now each of you have your own way of keeping track of numbers and your right you wouldn't need to do a daily count. I thought by breaking them down into groups it would be easier but no it would take a much longer time. Thanks for indulging my random pondering. I can see why some breeders keep things small and simple though.

Counting is real simple here. You just push a couple of buttons on the key board and the chin program tells you how many are out there.

Back