Pellet Poll

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is the best chinchilla food?

• Total voters
No one will ever agree on that the "best" pellet is. There are many out there that are good, safe pellets. I use Purina Rabbit Chow Show for the majority of the animals here and have been happy with it.

I feed Nutrena Naturewise because it doesn't give my chins diarrhea like Mazuri did, and it is very convenient for me to buy in 50lb bags. Never tried anything else that wasn't crap food though.

I'm with Crysta. I use PRCS, too. My boys had really soft poos with Mazuri, and at the time I was unable to locate a source for Oxbow.

Everyone plumped up nicely and we remain happy...

I also use PRCS. I fed Mazuri for years and when they started playing with the formula my chins would repeatedly get soft stool so I switched. I tried Tradition but most of my chins didn't like it and lost major weight on it. I tried Blue Seal but kept having problems with bags of chopped up powdery pellets. I tried one other brand that I can't remember the name of and had a lot of issues with moldy feed. I've now used PRCS (formerly PANR) for the last few years and have had no real issues since switching over!

Cheryl

MannaPro PRO is working for us, used Mazuri...chins did okay but one got really bad runs from it (when I only had about a dozen on it) and my breeding females at the time were getting run down on it. Haven't tried the others mentioned.

ETA- for those using SHO why SHO over PRO or GRO? I know I put a lot of thought into it when I decided to switch...but now cannot remember why I initially (and now continually) went with PRO

PRO is a basic maintenance formula but SHO has added prebiotics and probiotics for ease of digestion and is a bit higher in fat for nice coats.

Thanks on the PRO/SHO clarification ;) the fat content may've been why I chose PRO...my animals do fine on it so, for my herd, it must have enough fat. It's also a bit cheaper (locally) than the SHO for me...and it's currently even cheaper as it's on sale at TSC

Mäster's Chinchilla Pellets which is what most breeders here feed, the chins like it well enough and it´s a decently priced pellet, even though I have to order it online and have it shipped. Bello is also apparently popular too, but I've never seen it for sale.

I use PRCS and my chins love it. I tried Mazuri for a little while and for how expensive it was they didn't go crazy over it, and I've never tried Oxbow or Tradition.

mazuri. she started on it and i kept her on it. if it aint broke dont fix it

I feed Oxbow. I also use it for my rabbit. Great quality pellets and both pets are doing well on it.

To the person asking about Living World. It is a cheap brand and you get what you pay for. I would spend the extra few dollar on Oxbow, I know they sell it at Petsmart now (Which may not be a good thing though lol)

Latest posts

Back