Pee problems

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ServantofBlueberry

So, one more week to go until I can put the chins in the same room. Mela has shown no health issues. HOWEVER, she pees when she is out for playtime. Whenever she has to go, she just goes. Blueberry will return to her house to pee when she is out. Is there anything I can do about this? She is going to be moved from in my bedroom to the living room, where it is carpeted. If it cant be fixed, any suggestions as to what I can do to keep my living room carpet from getting soaked in pee?

Ideas:
1) Is she potty trained? If you can get her used to peeing in a shavings-filled baking dish, say, 12" wide, by putting urine-soaked shavings mixed in with new shavings so she recognizes the smell. Then you can bring the dish to the room when they are playing, put her near it, and hope she comes to it to pee since she is familiar with the dish. This has worked for me about 75% of the time.
2) I'm not sure if all chins can do this, but I have been able to get few of mine to hold it by putting them back in the cage immediately after they pee. Some never get it, but some actually do.

Good luck!

I have a glass pie dish that is in her cage, and I know she goes in it. I didnt even think of trying to bring it out when she is out. Thanks for the idea.

Back