pee of plastic pans!?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Savannah

I have a ferret nation which I got about 3 months ago. I've noticed the plastic pans have dried pee which is really hard to remove. I've tried vinegar with water it doesn't get off. How can I remove these dried pee stains from the plastic pans? Ps. The dried pee is really white

You could try using a very little amount of bleach and then rinsing them off really, really good. If the plastic pans are getting nibbled on by your chin, I would suggest covering them completely in fleece. I had the plastic shelves in my FN's for a while, even though I had them covered, they still got pretty nasty and ended up tossing them out. You'll eventually need to get the metal bass pans.

The plastic shelf pans in my CN are getting pretty grody, too :/ When the weather gets a bit warmer and I have more energy (I'm sick currently and while I'm almost done my antibiotics, they're making me feel crappy and lifeless too, ugh x.x) I'm gonna have to pull them out and give them a good scrubbing..... He doesn't chew them so I don't have them covered, but I don't want to spring for metal shelf pans since when I have the money I plan to just replace both of the original shelves completely with wooden ones (the main bottom pans have already been replaced with metal ones at this point so they aren't an issue). Its good to know I can use a little bit of bleach if need be. If its crusted on, maybe a thin paste of baking soda and water and a good ol' fashioned scrubbing would help?

For really crusty ones, I take them outside and soak them with straight white vinegar for a bit. I use a good stiff brush to scrub the stubborn spots but it works every time. Covering the pans with fleece helps keep the staining down.

Where do you buy the wooden or metal shelves? I see the two bigger ones on Bass but can't find the smaller shelves and need to replace mine ASAP. Thanks!

AllMyChins on here sells metal corner liter pans. I have 10 of them between my two FN cages. Held on with Bankers Clasps.

Gasoline power washer is the only way I have found to get those plastic pans clean. Even then, you are not going to get them 100% if you haven't kept up washing the pan after every cleaning.

When we have a rescue come in the whole cage including the pan gets power washed.

Back