Paypal dispute question for sellers

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twilight Chinchillas

Zookeeper extraordinaire
I have a question for sellers on here. Eventually things will happen with any transaction, and now it's my turn! I sent out a package about a week ago, and go a message from the buyer. The tracking information shows the package was delivered, but they told me they never got it. Their address was confirmed on Pay Pal.
They were told it might have been returned to me, so I told them I would keep my eyes open for it, and for them to let me know if it arrives. This was a couple days ago that I became aware of the problem.
I now have a dispute on Pay Pal from the seller. I do understand where they are coming from in being concerned, as I am too. I was wondering how everyone else has dealt with problems with missing packages, or if it might have taken longer than usual. This package was sent out Priority and shows it was delivered on the 29th.
Thanks for any input. My goal is to make sure every customer is happy, but as a seller wonder how to protect myself too.

it could of went to the wrong addreess maybe. this happened to me once, and i just resent the package.. but it wasn't an expensive package either.. good luck

That's what I am afraid of that it went to the wrong address or was left outside their place, but a less than dishonest person got it! Patience is not one of my strong points, I want to hear people got their stuff, not wait and hope it turns up eventually!

at first i was like... yah right, someone just being dishonest, but i have to admit, i only had it happen once, so then i did tend to believe it.

This happened to me only I was the buyer. Did you contact the post office? I had to talk to the supervisor at the post office that handles my area and he spoke with the carrier who delivers the mail to my subdivision and they knew exactly where the package was. We have letter/mailbox lockers down the street as our mail is not delivered to our doorstep. The carrier put my box in a separate larger locker because it didn't fit in our smaller mailbox. Instead of placing the key for that locker into my mailbox slot, which would let me know that I have a package, it was left on the lock of the large locker, so I never knew I had a package sitting there for almost a week. But at the post office's end they showed the package as being delivered. Luckily everything got straightened out but it was $120 worth of product just sitting there for a long time and anyone could have taken it.

I'm not quite sure what to ask my post office over here. It shows the package left Spokane, an arrived in their city (different state) on the 29th. They contacted their post office but haven't gotten anywhere with them. All we have to go on is the delivery confirmation saying it was delivered. I was hoping to give it some time to see if the package was delivered back to me, and resend it if it arrives.

I guess I should have said either you or the buyer should contact the post office that delivers the mail to the buyer's house. It only took 1 call from my end and the supervisor for my post office called me back and I gave him the delivery confirmation tracking number and he took it from there by talking with the carrier that delivers our mail, and that is how I found out where my package was.

That happened to me once as a buyer. My package was stolen from my porch and I confirmed with the mailman that he put it there. If you got insurance, you could try to file a claim but I've heard USPS insurance claims are a pain. Otherwise, you can resend the package or somehow work it out with the buyer. The buyer should be doing whatever they can to find out what happened on their end.

I'm wondering if I should look into signature confirmation for orders over a fixed amount. A pain in the butt, but that way, it would be protected!

I've had a lot of problems with USPS over the last 6-8 months that are really odd. I've received packages back that were completely ripped open and one of the items missing, I've received water damaged packages back in the mail. I've had multiple folks receiving priority mail packages up to 10 days after their 2-3 day quoted journey. It really makes me wonder how these folks have jobs if they can't handle packages.

I've also had many dishonest customers where 5-10 lbs of product just "magically" disappear from their box. No trace that it was ever there, just an entire bag of feed or dust is gone. One day a tube got missing, no clue where it went, the box didn't show signs of being opened said the customer. That's always a disaster. I've also had it happen a couple of times with dust where I've taped the bags that they come in to prevent spill. One customer told me they couldn't find the bag that the dust went in and the dust was spilled throughout the entire package - where did the gallon ziploc bag go? I try to refund the price of the dust or send another package, it just depends on how much it will cost with shipping.

I try to ship with UPS these days on anything that I can save on unless it'll fit in a flat rate box for cheaper.

Did you ship the package with Paypal so that the product is covered with seller protection?

Last edited:
Technically if you have delivery confirmation and the address is confirmed in paypal you are protected by paypal because it shows that it was delivered, your side of the deal is done. So if you're able to put in the dc number and it shows delivered you wouldn't have to refund the money.

However, it depends on you as to what you want to do to have a happy customer. You aren't required by paypal to refund or send a new package, so that is up to you. Normally if it's returned to sender the dc is updated to say such.

I did use the PP label system to send out the package. Sometimes though I get payments where there is no confirmed address, and have to send it out of pocket vs from my balance. Kind of makes me think twice now, if that's good business on my part, as I need to be protected also, but always try to have faith in other people to be honest! I can't believe you went threw all of that!
Alli, I was hoping to give it some time in case it was lost, or there was an error at post office, and then deal with working on the situation. I certainly wouldn't leave anyone high and dry!

I try to use UPS only because of this, but for smaller stuff USPS is cheaper (just get delivery confirmation AND insurance). I learned the hard way when selling stuff on eBay. As a seller, you really have to cover yourself. You almost have to take pictures of what you put in the box as proof for if/when an insurance claim is made, that way, the pressure is off you.

if there is a delivery conformation your end is done IMPO that is why tracking numbers are proveded so no ones gets screwed it protects both ends. maybe the package is sitting at the post office

I was expecting a fleece shipment and fedex.com showed that it was delivered. When I got home, there was no package but a letter from my neighbor with the same house number just on the other side of my development. He said the package was delivered to his house. So thankfully, I had an honest neighbor that let me know where my stuff was. It was an expensive order and I don't know what I would have done if I didn't receive that letter..I don't know what to tell you Christine :( I hope you can figure something out maybe call their post office and speak to the person who delivered it? Good luck!

If anyone I order things from gets annoyed with me checking on shipping/tracking,I'll tell you why I have to keep up with stuff.Twice now FedEx has delivered/left packages at the abandoned farm house down the road from me.Granted I know we are a rural area,but REALLY we have the great big blue reflective number sign on a post at the end of our drive,numbers on the mailbox, and I have even tried to get FedEx to put some sort of automatic attention flag for packages to our address and they said they couldn't.Just this past Christmas they left a very expensive electronic package up there.Bad part was that it was for my Mother's Christmas present(electronic magnifier that works with her tv)! I was told at first it was on backorder,then "lost',then that it had been delivered and confirmed??What the hey??By the time I figured it out and trespassed to retrieve my package it was way past Christmas and I had already bought Mother something else,now couldn't return either! So she lucked up!:hair:

Twilight :))),

You are protected by Paypal under this circumstances, but if you're like me, you want to know and make it right. I will say that the USPS tracking system is pretty much worthless. I ship 100% from where I work and I can only relay the comments from my mail room that says the USPS tracking so inaccurate at best.

I would give it a few more days and see if it shows up. Hopefully it will!

Annie

That's a tough situation. The package shows delivered, the person says they didn't get it... I've had troubles with the post as well. I would have them talk to their local post and see what they say. If the person doesn't want to at least help try to solve this mystery I'd be concerned. If it goes further in the pay pal resolution you will not be found at fault because it has the tracking number. Be sure to provide it to Pay Pal and try to work with the customer. But you did your part and there is no reason to mar your Pay Pal record.

I'm waiting to hear back from them, and will see if I can get the number for her post office. They said they had contacted them but didn't get anywhere. I had found a site where they could file a complaint about a missing package. Not sure if that has been done yet.

Back