PA House Bill 1398

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oooooooooohhhhh... just read it once and it seems to suggest hedgies are okay now - like they're in the same class as horses. Will have to re-read a few more times though...

Hedgehogs are still currently illegal in PA, but that may indeed change. Long store short: There was a group of 5th graders who wanted a class pet hedgehog. There were two articles published in a local newspaper about it with their intent to try to get them legalized. Apparently the students won the heart of their congresswoman as a bill was created to change the law in PA to permit as legal a number of exotic animals, including hedgehogs. It also makes many animals permanently illegal, including the big cats, bears, etc. So in a way it is a double edged sword.

The bill had been tabled for quite some time, but was recently picked back up and voted on by the house, for which it has been voted on and passed. However it has a ways to go still. My understanding of PA law making is that it now goes to the Senate for 2 readings, and a vote. If it is approved in the Senate it will go to the Governor for signing or veto.

If you are a PA resident, I would recommend contacting your Senator and letting them know if you support this bill.

I have been watching this story closely since the articles were first published.

It was picked up by the Senate and was referred to the Game and Fisheries Committee on 2/1.

Thanks to Kal a few weeks ago, I was made aware of this. I had NO clue this was going on, and I am local to the morning call (where the story was published!).

As someone who went through the 2000/2001 disaster with hedgehogs... I am praying they pass it!!

I have mixed feeling bout it. I'm ok with hedgehogs and gliders as pets but allowing my neighbor to have a bear or tiger does kinda put a damper on it. There is a big difference between exotic house pet and exotic eat your neighbor kind of pet. Wish they would not have included such a wide group of animals.

You can already own bears/tigers etc in PA with a simple permit. A coworker who lives in a country-like setting can hear her neighbor who lives down the road feeding his lions at night. She said the roar just goes across the valley.

Our plumber a few years back owned a cougar. Apparently (I didn't live here at the time, but hubby did) he would take it for daily walks up the road. I've talked to his wife, and heard many stories about the cougar. Sadly he passed after emergency surgery from a blockage.

There was just an icident a few years back by Mahoning Valley PA (near where I work) where a lady went into a pen to either clean or feed a black bear they had as a pet. She didn't follow the protocol, went in alone and was attacked and killed...

It is scary that you can already own lions/tigers/bears/wolves with a simple, fairly easy to obtain permit but we cannot own a hedgie or glider. I did some research with a simple permit, a specific type of fence, and a specific sized "pool" you can legally own a hippo in PA.

I had no idea owning a lion or a bear was permissible in PA! Yikes! Some animals are just not meant to be pets.

Do we know when this bill is getting voted on? I'll post about it over on our forum, Pet Talk, we have lots of Pennsylvanians there!

Its still sitting in the Game & Fisheries Senate committee per the PA website.
And doesn't list a next meeting date for that committee. So we are sitting and waiting for now.

This would be cool, my daughter has been bugging me about hedgehogs for a year now.

Hi! I haven't been on here since my chinchilla passed almost three years ago. I can't believe it's been that long.

However, when I saw this bill I stumbled back into the site (and am now addicted again :p) I'm so excited!! If it passes I want to send all the 5th graders thank you notes XD

But for now I'll just have to settle with my hedgehog collection.

ab1ba6361d1bda1eab35dae741bc97f3_23396448.jpg

Hey guys..we are still sitting on this bill...now is the time to share with your glider, hedgehog, and other exotic animal owning friends! I believe if the bill isn't passed by Nov, it will die....

Hey look, its actually moved! It has sat since 2/1 waiting for the Game & Fisheries to review it. As of today it has been amended and moved to first consideration.

Its definitely time to give it some attention.

When I checked it was still sitting!! Glad it moved!!

When I checked it was still sitting!! Glad it moved!! I joined a few glider boards today as I know there are many glider lovers in pa who will help make phone calls. Some were already aware and on the ball. Maybe combined with them we can get somewhere!

Latest posts

Back