oye-when it rains it pours

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Poor Furby, that is so strange :( It really looks like another animal attacked him... could you have squirrels in your roof? Opossums? Raccoons?

Poor Furby, that is so strange :( It really looks like another animal attacked him... could you have squirrels in your roof? Opossums? Raccoons?

Well, we don't have any of those animals, but another animal did indeed attack him. I should have asked her before, but my room mate had a guy over the other day and his jack russel terrier. Gus and I were out and about. She said she showed him the chin room. I'm thinking she forgot to close the door and the dog got in.. While they were doing whatever

Last edited:
I know I'm so furious and upset, this guy has been to he** and back and now this? I'd do anything to keep him healthy but somehow I can't. :'(I cannt imagine anything scarier than being attacked in the face. My poor little furb. I'll squeeze them for money once I can hold my temper

Last edited:
Poor poor little furby. How frightening that had to be. I'm so sorry it happened to him. Hope he heals up quickly. Give him some snuggles from me. As for the guy, he needs a good swift kick you know where. I hope he helps with the bills.

Keep a close eye that those bites don't become infected. The one on his left upper lip looks swollen to me & he may need antibiotics.
Your room mate & the guy need to pay for Furby to be examined by a vet since it was their fault the poor little chap is hurt - a jack Russell is a ratter & it's pure stupidity to let a dog of that nature near a chinchilla, supervised or not. :(
Furby is lucky to be alive.

I hope he makes a full, swift, & uneventful recovery. I also hope your friend never shows anyone your chin room again.

Last edited:
I'd be so angry! I don't know about Furby's history, but clearly your roommate was negligent. Good thing you have pictures to prove there was damage. Hopefully your roommate will be ok with paying for the vet bills... otherwise, I'd look into legal action.

Thanks everyone. Furby has a vet appointment today in an hour. He has not eaten or drinken anything since I put him in the smaller cage. He's probably in shock or something. He tends to braid down really quickly, so I'm going to see what the vet says. His history is one full of health problems and woe, haha. I'm so, so mad. Once I calm down and he sees a a vet I'll be able to think clearly. I'll keep you all updated on his situation and mine with my room mate and her lame guy.

Looked at the pics again. Did they let Furby out of the cage? How would the dog had been able to bite behind Furby's ears through the bars of an FN?! That's more of an injury when a dog picks up an animal and shakes it. I think your roomate must have seen more than she's letting on...

Egad, yeah I don't know. I can feel my blood boiling. I'm not sure, maybe it could have scratched him somehow? I dunno what to think, I'm so upset. I'm at the vet now they found a lot of bald spots and the vet thinks she can hear a heart murmur, but she's having my usual vet listen to it. When it rains it pours...

Don't worry. He's been through a lot before, he's a strong little guy. Heart murmurs are diagnosed and misdiagnosed somewhat frequently. Update us when you can.

Sorry to imply your roomate wasn't honest with you. I'm sure there's an explanation...

Keep a close eye that those bites don't become infected. The one on his left upper lip looks swollen to me & he may need antibiotics.
Your room mate & the guy need to pay for Furby to be examined by a vet since it was their fault the poor little chap is hurt - a jack Russell is a ratter & it's pure stupidity to let a dog of that nature near a chinchilla, supervised or not. :(
Furby is lucky to be alive.

I hope he makes a full, swift, & uneventful recovery. I also hope your friend never shows anyone your chin room again.

This omg! Jack Russells are bred to chase rodents. Aghhhhh.

I have no words for the rage I feel for you and that baby! Healing and strength thoughts are going out to Furby!

Thank you all, I really appreciate your support. Kate, don't worry about the implication she isn't the best roommate haha. He was given some topical antibiotic cleaner and ointment (I really stressed that antibiotics make him lose his appetite and he's already down 20 g...) and she also said that my normal vet heard a soft heart murmur too, but not to stress too much over it. Anyway, as of right now, he took about 30 cc of apple-banana CC and a cheerio and is snoozing. About the best I could hope for. I will keep you all updated :))

I got apple banana CC from the vet and some blackstrap molasses and furbys been eating it like a champ! I'm so proud of him :heart:

Back