Oxbows to expensive

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueDiamond

I'm picking out a chinchilla food, and I'm not sure which to choose :hmm: . I've heard oxbow is the Best, but it's too expensive for me. Is purina fibre 3 rabbit food okay? Thanks :)

I think it needs to be made out of hay? Oxbow is expensive, I get the All Living Things one which is barely a few dollars cheaper but I guess it adds up. If u have a Petsmart card it's usually on sale for members too. It has these weird colored shape food bits in it which I'm sure isn't too great for them so I just pick it out before I give it to them.

How many chinchillas do you have, and have you checked Amazon? I'm buying pellets off Amazon, it's like $10 for a 5 pound bag of Oxbow pellets.

Not sure what you have available in America. Beaphar Care Plus is good, and is GMO free. This should also be available on Amazon. All my boys are on this and I have never had any problems.

I will only have one or two, but I'm 11 and paying for it myself. How long do you know how long 5lb will last?

I'm not sure if that rabbit food is okay... If you want to use a rabbit food, you'll want either Manna Pro Pro/Sho, or Purina Rabbit Show. However, I believe they all come in larger bags so you'll waste some of it if you only have one chin.

Manna Pro Sho is about $20 and comes in a 50lb bag. I easily waste more than half of it, but it's a good food and the chins like it.
Manna Pro Pro comes in a 25lb bag, so that may be a better option. Both are good brands, but show chins do better on Sho. I'm not sure about the other brand, as I've never used it. These brands can be purchased at your Tractor Supply Company.

Mazuri and Tradition are other healthy alternatives as well, but you'll likely have to order those online.

Last edited:
I would be hesitant to feed cheaper rabbit foods as they are known to cause organ damage in chinchillas. Depending on how many chinchillas you have oxbow is really not that expensive. I have a pair and a bag lasts me about 2-3months.

Beaphar is incredibly expensive here because you have to have it shipped. No one in the states carries it.

Oxbow for one chin isn't expensive. If you get a fresh mill date, it will stay good for six months.

I feed rabbit pellets, Nutrena Naturewise 15%. You can't get it in smaller than 20 pound bags, but it is not expensive at all. A 40 pound bag is $13.50 so a 20 pound bag will be much cheaper. I always tell people with one or two chins to buy a bag, take what they will need, and then give the rest to a shelter. They always need the donated food.

I will only have one or two, but I'm 11 and paying for it myself. How long do you know how long 5lb will last?
Will you also have to pay for vet care yourself? Or will your parents help out if the chin(s) need to go to a vet?

For me with two chins a 5 pound bag of oxbow lasts me about a month, it can depend on your chins though, some eat only 2 tbs a day others eat 4 or more a day, and it's also very common for them to throw food around so you do have some waste. You really don't want to go with cheap food, you'll pay for it on the other end in vet bills, or worse, your chin's life. As said some rabbit foods are safe for chinchillas, but most are not, you need a high quality rabbit food, like the ones mentioned.

However, hobbit721 made a good point, if you are also going to be responsible for vet care you might want to reconsider getting chins if $5+ per chin for food is considered too expensive. Vet bills can easily get into the hundreds of dollars for minor things, and thousands of dollars for emergencies, and you have to go to an exotic vet (which costs more per visit then for a normal cat or dog vet visit) that knows/has seen chinchillas, not all exotic vets know how to care for chinchillas.

i use Select Series Pro rabbit feed. $10-15~ for a 25 lbs bag. Even with 5 chins i still dont make it through it all.

My girl is on Oxbow, and a three pound bag lasts her just over a month. I can't really say anything about rabbit food.

That said if your parents are willing to let you order food you can find good stuff at really good prices from several members here. :)

If the food is too expensive and you only have a chin or 2 there is a big problem. I know in another thread you mentioned wanting to breed. So you may want to rethink breeding and maybe even chins as a pet if money is an issue.

Feeding for one or 2 chins isn't expensive IMO. A 5 lbs bag of oxbow pellets lasts my chin over 2 months. I believe I paid $15 at petsmart. That's only about $7 per month. Much cheaper than my cat and dog's food! Lol :)

Back