Oxbow Food!!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chula

Wood Widdler
I am trying to switch Chachi's food over to Oxbow from Timothy Complete. He is completely eating around the Timothy and just eating the Oxbow. His poops are now soft and slick, and it seems he's not even touching his hay. I woke up this morning to do a check before I went to work, and his food is almost gone, and still plenty of hay!!

What should I do? Change him back over to Timothy Complete or play this out? He's normal in every other way and it just started after switching the food so I know it's the Oxbow and nothing else.

I thought Oxbow was the top of the line food?? You'd think it has crack in it!!

I'm not an expert by any means, but Oxbow is a great food and this is what I feed my chin and have never had an issue with it. It is important to slowly transition from one food to another to avoid issues. But people have done a cold switch from one food to another if the former food is complete crap. Maybe the soft stools resulted from too much of a cold switch to the Oxbow? I wouldn't go back to the Timothy, but would increase the transition from the Timothy to Oxbow. Someone can pipe in and suggest the transition period...I can't recall atm.

I would cold switch to Oxbow, and buy some acidophilus capsules to sprinkle on the pellets. The probiotics should help ease the switch.

poop changes are likely to happen when you do a food switch. sprinkle the acidophilus like Kate suggested, that should help his gut.

my boys can be pellet hogs on oxbow too, so what i do is take their pellet bowls away two non-consecutive days a week to encourage more hay eating.

I just switched all my rescue chinchillas over to Oxbow from all the random cheep crap they were on and I've noticed they finish their portion everytime, I do about a heaping 1/8 cup scoop per chin per day with limitless hay.
I've been very happy with the feed although I've noticed some of the chinchillas have very dry dropping and I'm not sure if I should be worried.
I'm also concerned with availability and been thinking of a switch over to online ordering of alderbrook pellets, I just don't want to change their feed so often, sorry guys.
I do like that I can shake their bowl and they come running, lol.

Back