Oxbow food

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danis

I have noticed my chinchillas poop seems kinda soft since I have switched over to oxbow in September does anyone else have this problem with oxbow food? My youngest chin Casper came to me sick with we thought it was girdia at first but we got him tested and out ruled that he's was on oxbow before we got him and the vet sed to keep him on it that it's the best but now after 2months of switching my other 2 to oxbow it appers that the food is the cause Of the mushy poop becuse we don't feed treats and they alwas have fresh hay and water ! any thoughts on this has any one else experienced this ?

Did u gradually switch the pellets over or was it a cold switch?
My boys have been on oxbow for 6 years, never had a problem with soft poop.

Oxbow is a high quality pellet and a lot of members on her feed it, myself included. Which water filter are you using and what type of hay are you feeding?

Since he was already on Oxbow, a switch wouldn't be the issue. I would be thinking more along your water. What kind of water do you use? How frequently do you wash your bottles and how? Do you provide good quality hay?

BTW, Oxbow is not the best feed out there. It is one of the acceptable feeds, though the way Oxbow has been acting lately, I don't recommend it. They went from being a decent company to being a company that seems to be only out to make the bucks while leaving a lot of long time customers in the lurch.

BTW, Oxbow is not the best feed out there. It is one of the acceptable feeds, though the way Oxbow has been acting lately, I don't recommend it. They went from being a decent company to being a company that seems to be only out to make the bucks while leaving a lot of long time customers in the lurch.

Without this getting sidetracked from the op's question, what would you recommend then as a better feed if oxbow is becoming questionable?

My chins have been on Oxbow for almost 3 years now with no issue of runny poop. I'd also check your water.

Oxbow the company is on my s***list, not the actual pellets. If I could get Oxbow's 50 lb. bags close to me, I would continue to feed these pellets to my boys and sell to forum members.

I use filterd water always and I switched over gradually over a
2 month period as I started adding more oxbow the problem started it's very strange

My chins have been on Oxbow for almost 3 years now with no issue of runny poop. I'd also check your water.

Oxbow the company is on my s***list, not the actual pellets. If I could get Oxbow's 50 lb. bags close to me, I would continue to feed these pellets to my boys and sell to forum members.

I don't know what I'm going to do when you stop selling.

I think you run the risk of digestional upset anytime you switch foods. What type of filter are you using? Not all filter out microbial cysts. You can also try sprinkling some acidophilus on the pellets.

What pellets are you switching from? If there is a difference in the nutrition levels or ingredients, that can be the cause.

Last edited:
Do your chins eat plenty of hay. I have a few chins that if they eat more Oxbow pellets and not enough hay, their poops are not soft, but not as firm as usual.

I fed Oxbow for a few years with no problems. The reason I switched (to PRCS) was based on cost.

Back