Our new boy crying at night

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StangSally

I just had a quick question about our new baby boy Finnian. He is our second male chin, we got him from Chincherub (an awesome local breeder). He was born on 6-18-12, and we just brought him home yesterday. He had a big day moving and exploring his new cage so we just talked to him and gave him some scritches through the cage bars so as to give him some time to settle in. He was soon eating, drinking, pooping and happily checking out his new surroundings. Apart from a few little squeaks here and there he was quiet most of the day. About an hour after we had turned the lights and tv off and went to bed he started making a warning call. At first we figured he was just having a chinnie nightmare (our other chin Bruce has those from time to time) and he woke himself up, so we talked calmly to him for a bit and he settled back down. But then he called again and again, despite talking to him and giving him some scritches he continued to make his little warning cry (we all know that high pitched call that makes all chinnie parents come running) about every few minuets and didn't seem to settle down. We figured he was probably just a little scared and lonely since this was his first night in a new home, and he was used to being with at least two other chins his age. We continued to talk to him, but since it was about 2am (and as much as we love our boys, we need sleep to function) so we ended up putting the tv on low and just leaving it on while we slept. (Our other male Bruce loves watching tv, and baby Finn seems fascinated by it already :popcorn:) The noise seemed to calm him and he eventually settled down. This morning he was his curious little self. We will have to see if he is a little better tonight, but I was just wondering if anyone else on here has had a similar experience with a new baby? Bruce was three months old when we got him, and even though he is a very talkative little man, I've never heard him make the warning cry like this little guy did over and over again. Any thoughts?

I think that is normal for a baby that just got a new home. Kinda like how a new puppy will cry at night. As long as he seems ok when you check on him, I wouldnt worry too much. Especially since the TV helped, I'd say he was just scared and lonely.

Latest posts

Back