Order food online or get locally?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

my3esses

The chain pet stores by me carry the stuff I keep reading not to feed them, so was going to order some mazuri online as that is what my breeder uses. But I read here that sometimes causes loose poops. So went digging and found some non-chain stores near me - one carries oxbow essentials the other had no chinchilla food but I asked about manna pro rabbit food and they said no, but they do carry nutrena? He said it is 16% protein. Should I go with either of those or order something online. I really will only need small amounts at a time and the oxbow is conveniently located and smaller bags are available.

Oxbow is a really good food. If you can get that in smaller bags, I would. I'm not really familiar with the rabbit type foods. Mazuri is what I feed my chins. I never had an issue with the soft poops, but I guess if I was doing it again- I would feed Oxbow just to avoid a potential problem. ;)

I feed nutrena and we are having no problems even after a cold switch. Have you looked at feed stores? You'll get better prices and might find more options like manna pro. If you've only got 1 or 2 chins though the little expensive oxbow bags are fine.

I feed nutrena and we are having no problems even after a cold switch. Have you looked at feed stores? You'll get better prices and might find more options like manna pro. If you've only got 1 or 2 chins though the little expensive oxbow bags are fine.

Yes, there is only 1 feed store in my area and they were the ones with the nutrena but only in $25 lb. bags - so most of it will go to waste based on what I've read about how much a baby chin eats. I don't think I will need more than 5-10 lbs. in the next 6 months. They said they could probably order me manna pro but again, in 25 lb bags.

You can put it in containers and freeze it or some people just donate the extra to a shelter or rescue because it's still cheaper than buying small bags every few months. I used to do orders of 200lbs of oxbow guinea pig pellets at a time (you get a huge ups shipping discount or at least used to at that weight) and split each 50lb bag with another rescue as we opened them.

Back