one of my chins may be sick or stressed

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
about 2 days ago chachi was pooping and i noticed it a bit moist. i went over and picked up a fresh stool and squished it to see if it was moist and squishy and it was. he does eat the same he drinks water the same his activity levels are the same. he is the usual mellow chin i have. but just now i took away there pellet food and fed a large amount of hay. i did tell my dad if this doesnt get somewhat better then we have to take him to the vet. so im hoping by thursday or friday theres a better poop coming out his bum. the poop doesnt smear or it doesnt stick to his fur or it is close to being watery. just mushy. the poops also come out breaking sometimes or with small wholes and ive heard it can be something like a intestinal parasite. i do think it is stress because i did move the cage to the other side of my room. and the air conditioner makes noise so they probably dont like that. he laso will bite his fur sometimes but i tell him not to and he tends to stop when i open the cage and put my hand close to him.

i do feed them Oxbox Alfalfa pellets and Oxbow Timothy Hay the water is refilled every day if the water becomes hot and if it doesnt get hot to where i dont see bubbles then i leave it another day. i stopped treats along time ago when i heard there not neccessary.

i have also done a deep cleaning in and out around there cage to se if there were some bacteria hanging around.

and yes the breeder i got chachi and his brother from did tell me he is naturally mellow not that playful but when hes playful he will popcorn about around my bathroom and take a quick cat nap and off to jumping around and exploring more.

so i realy dont know if he has a bug or just very stressed out. i still feel him and his brother still adjusting to the area and daily noises. because the both have the fur biting problem when hearing a new noise or they will bark when the computer does the fan adjustments. other then that there look healthy to me its just chachis poop problem.

so if anyone can help me with anything please i dont want to end up with a very ill chin.. :c

Squashy, like you can flatten it with your fingers? 'Cause that's pretty normal.

Is the poop wet? Sticky or mucusy? Does it smell gross? All these might indicate a problem.

I don't understand what you mean by saying the water "gets hot". That shouldn't happen if your air conditioner is working properly.

The holes in the poop could mean gas. You can get human meds from a pharmacy that can help this. It's the stuff they give babies with gas....I can't remember the name of it off the top of my head, but maybe someone else might chime in and help out.

Start weighing them weekly. If they lose weight repeatedly, then you know there's a problem.

Back