Okay you guys...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raachhelxd

I really need your help! For over a year I have been trying to convince my mom to buy me a chinchilla. She goes on and on about how she does NOT want to spend her money on another creature. However, for christmas I'm making for money of my own and I'm getting a job in January. So with my own money I will hopefully be purchasing my very own chinny! However, for the extra push I'd really appreciate you guys sharing the pluses of having a chinchilla & your fond memories if you're comfortable doing so! Please and thank you:)

Will you also be making enough money to pay for any vet bills that might arise? It can be very expensive, even thousands of dollars. The cost of the chinchilla is the easy part.

My mom is willing to help with any sick animal no matter the cost. I'd have the vet bills covered no worries! The money is the least of my worries.

Ok, I was just concerned because you said she didn't want to spend any money on another creature. But chinchillas come with many costs. Food, hay, chew toys, bedding, vet bills, etc.

What is going to happen to your pet when you go to college? Pets are not allowed in the dorms. Chins are not cheap. Even if they never get sick, they still cost a pretty penny.

How about you tell us why you want one, what you think is attractive about chins that you think you need one and we will tell you if its true or not. Chins are not for everyone.

Well, to start off I know how adorable they are. I'm aware that they can last up to 20 years and I'm ready for that commitment. I also know that even if the chins are not sick they still cost a lot of money. I know that I'd have to provide hay, pellets, bedding, treats (but not too many & only the healthy ones) the toys to please them, the cage and the chin itself. I know that every pet comes with a responsibility and I know that I have to spend time with them and let them out. I know chins are not for everyone and I've been looking into them for over a year and a half now and I know what I'm up against. I'm also aware that they're exotic pets and have exotic needs. I've taken in squirrels before and god knows they're not household pets! All I'm asking for is your fond experiences with your chins and why you're happy to have them.

I've only had my chinchilla for a few days and am already in total love with him! he's given me a kiss on my nose already! I personally wanted one because of how affectionate they can be, and they're very sweet animals. I love having a little buddy! The pro's of having one are they're very sweet, they can be a real joy, they put an easy smile on your face, they really aren't too difficult to take care of (if you've researched enough and know their serious needs & the money to put out for them.), they're quite funny little animals when they run around too! when you pet them it's like petting a cloud. :3 They don't stink, and they're quite clean animals. The cons are just that they're small, so they can get into small places, they're fast, so you have to be careful, they need a bigger cage so they don't get bored, you need to give them love! :) not so much of a con though. :p you have to be on your toes with keeping their cage clean, and so on. Good luck! Oh and show her some youtube videos of affectionate chinnies! That may help. :)

welcome! you do need to think about why you want them. I did research for a few months and then decided to get one. But you need to have ani dea of what your getting into. When you go to college, whose going to care for it? Are you going to dorm? Will you be able to provide it attention and its basic needs? food? vet care? housing? There not like dogs or cats so dont think they will always like you holding them or them sitting still. There not tamed animals like dogs and cats. hehe altho I do have a friend whose working miracles with her chinnie. Each chinnie also has different personalities.

But if you do get one, i mean its great as long as you think you can care for them. I love my chinnies. They make me happy when I come home from work and so on. I was just outta college when I got my 1st one. Its a great pet!! =D good luck on your decision. just make sure you can cover daily expenses for them as well as taking care of them =) good luck! =D

Don't forget they will need air conditioning. You will need to buy, maintain, replace and also pay for the electricity. Will it be in your room? Your mom might not want the chin area at 70 degrees in December. Prob the best cage you can get is a Ferret Nation 142, that's about $200.

I love my chins very much. No matter how bad of a day I had, I can just walk up to them and they do something cute it will make my day better. They all have different personalities, from affectionate to I hate you mode. I can honestly say that I can't see myself with any other animals to be a better pets for me.
Now along with others, I would be concern in regards to your mom refusing to allow you to have another "creature" I do see where you say that you're getting your own job to purchase your chinchilla(s). Please do keep in reminder that there are other factors that will have to involve you parent's. The electric bill! Before I had chins, I keep my house at 75 degrees in the summer, after I have chins I have to have a separate ac unit for their room to maintain the temp at least to 70 because of overheat. They will die from over heating!
My friend's sister who did the same thing as you did after seeing my chins, came summer time her parents noticed the huge increase on the electric bill due to the ad and refuse to keep the house at that temp anymore. Eventually the chin had to go to the vet due to a heat stroke. She worked, but still didn't have enough money to pay for the overnight stay and the vet bills. Her mom had to help pay for it and 2 weeks after the chin recovered, they rehomed him.
Bringing any pet into a home regardless of chins or even a dog, everyone in the house hold should agree on. If even 1 person refuse to get it, really should consider to wait till you have your own place when you get older.

I definitely love my Fenfen, he is a lot of work but totally worth it. I have only had him for a couple months now and already had to take him to the vet once. I'm not excited about the summer when I will have to have the AC on, but it is what he needs so it is what he gets. I think as long as you are aware of the time and care and money he will need, as well as discussing with your mom his temperature needs and possibly how you could contribute to the electric bill since you'll have a job, I don't think it is a bad idea at all. Watching him come up to the side of the cage always cheers me up and really watching him do anything cheers me up. Just look at some of the pictures in chin chat and you'll be able to see how much, and why!, we all love our chins.

Oh, gosh! Where to start... I had been looking into chins for a couple years now, earning money, buying supplies, researching... It's all important to do before buying any pet. After all that was done, I started to talk my parents into letting me buy one. Their first reaction to anything is "No", but after many months of persisting, I got my first chin a couple days ago. His name is Levi, and he's the cutest baby chin I've ever seen. (When buying a chin, especially at a pet store, you'll want to look at their fur, eyes, nose, feet, etc. To ensure you'll get a healthy one, as most pet stores are in it for the profit.)
A couple pluses for Levi:
-He loves to cuddle. That's not so common in chins from what I've heard. (Watch the employee, or breeder handle them before choosing. You'll want to see if they bite.)
-He doesn't bite (Exception to nibbles)
-He loves his playtime, and his treats
-He's sweet and very loyal
-And he doesn't take that long to adapt.
Aside from that, you'll get the basics (Ie. Doesn't smell, really soft, etc.)

Some cons:
-Loud at night (He chirps, which is amusing at times, scary at night :p)
-His poo gets pretty messy
-Expensive
-Can hop right out of his playpen =D

Now, there are cons with every pet, so know that none of us are trying to talk you out of getting one, we just want you to know all that comes with chins. Overall, he's worth the cons. Do you already have pets? What got my parents into buying one for me, was I showed them my responsibility by taking great care of my current pets.

:thumbsup: Keep at it! Levi and I wish you luck! =)

I like to juggle mine ^u^ and by that I mean I put them on my shoulder and let them try and run down my side, but they don't quite make it and their on my shoulder again haha!
I really love how much like rats they are but better, fluffier and no stinky poop and their lifespan.
Advice if your set on a chinchilla, buy your cage first, their expensive and you want the right one that will be the only one you need to buy, no plastic and bars that arn't too big or too small.
I think that was always the big thing for me, have the critters whole habitat set up and ready before you pick out your pet, a good thing to have a vet that you can trust on hand, I LOVE MY VET Dr. Adrian Walton so much that I drive for 1 hour each way to see him, because he's the best.

Thank you for your feedback! Your chinchillas sound absolutely adorable. And don't worry, I've taken cost into consideration a lot. If I don't think I'll have it covered then I will not get a chin just yet. My mom keeps the heat pretty low in the winter to save oil so it will NOT get above 70. In the summer the air is on and if I got a chin I'd plan to keep it in the most ventilated room with a thermostat! I've also looked at their diet on here and souly just here to avoid conflicting information. I've also read tragic stories on here about people's chinnies getting sick and some dying ):

Back