oh dear, Bailey has a damp chest

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snoepgoed123

I know I haven't been here for a long time (back in november) but I checked today, and Bailey's chest is damp... I'm hoping it's not malo, but it's the first thing that comes to mind, He's going to the vet's monday morning for xrays... what should I ask the vet?

-he is still eating and drinking normally
-still pooping normal
-still shows interest in chew toys
-not aggressive/moody or anything

Is his chin wet? Are his paws wet? Is there any wetness or lay down fur around his eyes? It's possible that his chest is just wet from his water bottle, if nothing else is going on, but if you'll feel better after the vet does an x-ray go for it.

Just make sure that he puts him under to do the x-rays. A squirming, wiggling chin is not going to do great x-rays that show clear details of the teeth.

everything else is dry... and now his chest is too... do chins with teeth problems have a constant wet chest?

ohh if it's only from the waterbottle... lil punk... I'll have to keep an eye on him tomorrow I guess... luckily it's late at night so I haven't made an appointment yet

IDK, maybe he just had a piece of hay stuck in his cheek? Does he have a history of malo? I would start weighing him weekly and keep a close eye. And wait to take him in until another sign happens ie: swipeing, drooling, weight loss, eye goop etc. Good luck!

IDK, maybe he just had a piece of hay stuck in his cheek? Does he have a history of malo? I would start weighing him weekly and keep a close eye. And wait to take him in until another sign happens ie: swipeing, drooling, weight loss, eye goop etc. Good luck!

I agree. Before jumping to conclusions, use the next day to monitor him. Check/weigh his food, see how he does with eating hay, check the area around his eyes for any discharge. If it were me, I'd dust bath just to start out with a "fresh chinnie" so that I could see if it was just a one time thing or possibly something reoccurring.

Don't wait too long though, malo is serious and could progress quickly. I would also be extremely nervous, so just try to relax a bit. Make the appointment early so you're prepared if need be. Like others have said, the xrays will be more conclusive than mere speculation. Gather as much info as you can though. Check for any leaks in the cage and any possible pee accidents that Bailey may have gotten into.

Keep us posted.

Yea, it was one of those, "is this a first or did I miss something that I should've gotten earlier" things... I tried staying calm and came to you ladies first before rushing to the e vet... I luckily have enough in savings if anything were to go wrong, but I'd rather keep that money in my savings account if ya know what I mean.

he's dry, he's sleeping now, food bowl looks emptier, hay everywhere, and a chewed up apple sticks shows that he had a busy night... and he looks as handsome as always

Chins can bite their cheeks and tongues like humans, get soft tissue injuries and that can cause temporary drool, if the chin is eating, drinking and chewing sticks, weight is stable and the drool is gone I would not traumatize the chin with a vet visit yet.

Chins can bite their cheeks and tongues like humans, get soft tissue injuries and that can cause temporary drool, if the chin is eating, drinking and chewing sticks, weight is stable and the drool is gone I would not traumatize the chin with a vet visit yet.
Yup :yes:
FWIW I agree - careful monitoring of behaviour, droppings, food intake, & weight are the order of the day. :thumbsup:

Yup :yes:
FWIW I agree - careful monitoring of behaviour, droppings, food intake, & weight are the order of the day. :thumbsup:

Agreed. I wouldn't put my chin through x-rays, etc. for only one time seeing a wet chest. Keep an eye on him.

thanks everybody, Bailey is still doing good, dry chest... so maybe it was just one of those things where he tried to give me a heart attack...

Back