Number of chins in one Critter Nation (FN) cage?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marcham93

Chinchilla Lover
Hi everyone! Quick question.

I currently have two Critter Nation cages stacked on top of each other. My female, Rosie, lives upstairs while my male, Gizmo, lives downstairs. Obviously because of them being different genders I can not keep them together.

I would however love to get them each a cage mate (of the appropriate sex), but I would not have enough room to buy a second cage setup. Is a single Critter Nation cage big enough for two chins or should I not bother?

Essentially the setup would be two story Critter Nation cages stacked on top of each other with two chins living in each.

The cages seem large for one chin and I would imagine that adding a second (and maybe taking out a shelf) would suffice. What do you think?

When I go home for breaks two of my chins are in a single level FN and they seem perfectly fine. I would just recommend cleaning the cage more often as the waste per level doubles.

Two chins can live comfortably in a single level of a CN or FN, BUT if you don't have room for more cages, then I would suggest not adding anymore chins. First any chins you bring in need to be quarantined for at least 30 days, in a separate cage in a separate room. Second, your chins may not want friends, or the new chins may not like the ones you have now, they may not get along at all, and you could end up needing 4 cages.

Back