Now THIS is a horrible story

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are a stronger woman than I, Tab. I don't know that I could have thought straight after all you went through. I'm sorry about Mini, but it gives me a very happy feeling to see Ace is being a good mommy.

I hope things get better for you!!

Wow, I'm so sorry about the tough time you have been having lately. Words don't seem enough but thank God you know what to do for them. It's never easy to lose an animal. I lost two rats last year (from tumors) myself , one which I had to put down. My sympathies, it's a hard thing to do even though you know its the right thing to do. The ray of sunshine is the success story of foster mom and kits. Happy thought for the new family :grouphug:and lots of hugs for you.:flowers:

Mini lives on in her little ones, RIP Mini. I'm sorry for your loss tab

I'm sorry to hear about Mini. My thoughts are with you and her lil ones. Hopefully the babies will settle with their new mommy.

I wanted to let everyone know...my chin vet did a necropsy on Mini for me yesterday. The reason she prolapsed is because she had an impaction. He thinks it happened because she was always sitting on the babies and wasn't getting enough movement to keep things moving through smoothly. I didn't notice any signs like lack of pooping or lack of eating because she was still doing both up until she prolapsed. The impaction was right after a bend in her lower intestines and the vet said it looked like it built up and got stuck there. There were absolutely no poops below the impaction which indicated she had pooped them all out after the impaction stopped. Above the impaction her entire digestive tract was full of food and her stomach was completely full with food and water. There was no plastic or anything she could have gotten to...the impaction was just a large build up of food that hadn't moved through her system properly and caused a blockage. My baby never gave me any signs she was uncomfortable or in pain at all...but I really wish she had.

On a brighter note...the babies are doing really well with Ace. All are gaining weight still and looking good overall.

Mini not moving enough didn't cause the prolapse. The impaction was caused by not moving enough...some food got stuck in her digestive tract and then just kept building up because she wasn't moving enough. The impaction caused her to strain to try to move things around (because chins cannot vomit) which caused the prolapse.

I have seen it several times in pregnant females sometimes before birthing and sometimes after. Most of the times it has been with larger litters and I think that the growing babies block off or put a crimp into the intestines causing the blockage to start.

Thanks, Linda

JAGS-that could be entirely plausible. In the females you've seen it happen to after birth, how long after birth did it happen? Mini gave birth to her litter of four about a week and four days before she prolapsed.

Tiny took a turn for the worst yesterday. When I checked on them he could barely walk or hold his head up and his stomach was tiny and empty feeling. I gave him about 3CC's of goat's milk and in about a half hour he was able to hold his head up but still wobbly. After his second feeding he was doing even better. This morning he is still walking funny, almost like his back legs are stiff, but he took less supplement and was nursing on Ace when I took him out for feeding.

:( Best of luck with Tiny, he sounds a little like what Ivan went through. I hand fed him for 2 weeks and he snapped out of it completely. How is he doing?

JAGS-Thank you!

Tiny is doing a bit better. Ace is not producing enough milk for all three of them. Every time I check her she has milk...but just barely. The kits are always nursing on her as well so they are basically just draining her dry. I've taken to hand feeding all three two to three times a day to help her out. As long as they continue to gain with this method I'm not going to split them up. There's no fighting between them and they aren't hurting Ace trying to get more milk out. I'll get a video of hand feeding during the next feeding. Tiny has been gaining like crazy with my help. Hopefully they keep getting better and bigger. I'll take some pictures of them later.

Aw best of luck to the kits. So sorry about your loss of mom & the baby..but at least 3 these ones found an adoptive mom. So she wont feel the loss of her kit, and they have a mom to cuddle/nurse with etc.

Oh my gosh, that just breaks my heart... I'm so sorry about Mini... I'm keeping my fingers crossed AND praying for you... Good luck on the 3 kits.. you seem like a hardy breeder, I have no doubts that you will keep them alive.

The first story of the kit dying (guessing from the cold?) sounds a lot like what happened to me. R.I.P. Wilber.♥

Breeding is very horrific and certainly not easy.

I'm praying for you and the babies! Good luck!

Back