Not eating, not pooping....sick chin

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sovay

I've spoken with a few of you already about my sick chin, but it was suggested that I post to the forum as a whole so I can benefit from the wealth of information out there. I thought I would explain my situation and progress and get some feedback over time as I nurse my poor chinny back to health.

Just some background information: Miles is a 9 year old male and is my only chin. On thursday night I noticed he was sleeping at midnight, which is unusual because he is usually up and bouncy at 930 like clockwork every night. On friday night he was also sleeping, and when I woke him to give a treat, he refused (very unchinny like). I then realized I hadn't seen him eat lately, and the water bottle was still full. I emptied out his sleepy house and in the morning, only found 2 poops, both very small and very dry. It was suggested to me that it may be too hot for him, so I turned on the ac friday night and it's been on ever since. The weather has not been extremely hot lately, but over the chin comfort zone.

I made an appointment at a local vet and brought him in saturday morning. I do not have a regular vet in the area because I haven't lived here very long, and have not had any health issues yet. I was told the vet sees chins on a regular basis, and gave Miles a checkup. He checked his teeth, took his temp, felt his stomach and said that he didn't see anything to be worried about. And at the time, Miles is bouncing around and acting very chin-like, and pooping a bit (probably nervous) but they are still small and dry. He told me there was more he could do, but at the time he didn't think it was necessary yet and to see if the ccare was working.

I bought some CCare and have been feeding 1.5 tablespoons a day, which is in accordance to the directions on the package. yesterday I fed 5 times, about 1/3 a tablespoon each time.

To answer some questions that were asked of me,

1) No wetness around the mouth or pawing to indicate severe malocclusion
2) I do not think he has lost weight yet. I have purchased another gram scale and will be monitoring it more closely.
3) I don't think he is drinking at all, I've been working in the next room all day and can hear the water bottle usually. I have not heard anything all day, and the level hasn't changed. He may be getting enough water from the cc though.

If his status is the same tomorrow, I will be taking him back to the vet for more tests. In the meantime, what care can I give him to help aid pooping and eating? Is simethicone i can give as a just in case, even if I a don't know yet if stasis is the problem? I have some yogurt that I can give him to help get some good bacteria in his digestive system.

I know a x-ray will probably help answer a lot of my questions, but I wanted to post this and hopefully get some advice and support from other owners that have had a chinny spontaneously stop eating. If this happened to you, what was the cause and what kind of treatment was used?

I have had chinchillas for a long time now, and the only health problems I've had to deal with my pets or rescues have been very obvious, teeth problems, ringworm, conjunctivitis....this is the first time that I've had a chin not eat and I'm stumped as to what the problem is.

Thanks in advance for replying,
D

tl;dr sick chin is not eating, drinking or pooping. Visited vet on sat morn, now on ccare. No x-rays yet. Appetite has not come back. Will be visiting vet soon if condition does not improve.

You can treat it like he has gas and it shouldn't hurt him. You can give him simethicone and it shouldn't react badly with anything else in his system. Since gas is a common cause of the symptoms you're describing, many people treat for it when they first notice the problem and see if it remedies it (though, in your situation it is different as this has been going on for days). You can use warm, dry compresses on the chin's torso (see if they will sort of sit on it) gentle tummy rubs, and added fiber among other things.

The recommended amount of CC is anywhere from 60-100 mls per day. I don't know how much that translates into dry tablespoons. You can usually stop by your vets office and ask for oral syringes for free if you need them. Also, many chins don't drink much when they are being syringe fed as it contains a good amount of water.

You can look through the chin health & hygiene and chin emergencies and probably find a slew of threads on bloat or near-bloat (including my own from months and months ago). All the info is on this site about it, you just have to find it. I hope your chin gets better.

Last edited:
Thanks caiti for your help. I wasn't able to find the gas pills last night and this morning, his status hasn't changed much. I figure he's not eating or drinking because of the ccare, but what worries me is he still isn't pooping, even with all this liquid diet in his system.

I just made an appointment to go get an x-ray done today, so hopefully I'll get some answers soon.

Sovay - you can find simethicone in the baby aisle of most stores. It is a liquid given by dropper to babies with colicky stomachs. There are different names for it but if you look for Infant Gas Drops - that is simethicone. Good luck and keep us posted. Hope you get an answer soon.

Back from the vet. Vet was hesitant to xray since Miles is still bouncy and squirmy but I insisted. He said the picture wasn't great but that it looked like there wasn't any blockage and there was gas bubbles and liquid stool that wasn't being pushed out. He prescribed metoclopramide and gave me some benebac. While waiting for the bill I saw Miles pick up a renegade raisin that was in his sleepy house and eat it. When we got home he also picked a little at his hay before going to sleep. I gave him some critical care and now he is taking a nap. These are good signs at least.

It's been about 24 hours and I still don't have any definitive signs of pooing. He's still gaining weight, which I'm afraid is just from pumping food into his body without it being processed out. At this point he's gone from 575 to 590 in 3 days. May not be a big deal but.....I just want some sign that he is doing better. He's very alert and bouncy when I speak to him or take him out, but other than that he's just sleeping in his cage. The area around his anus is discolored and I think perhaps the 'poo' is coming out as very liquidy diarrhea from the critical care? He must be getting more than usual water intake from the feedings....so I am holding off on that for a bit.

One of the suggestions that the vet had was to acquire some health chin poop,grind up and add to his Ccare to help add some healthy chinchilla bacterial flora to his system. I've heard of this method being used in humans with high success....I don't know anyone in my area with chins, let alone healthy ones but I'm willing to try anything.

*sigh* I just want this to be over..... :(

EMS, do you think it would be beneficial to give both smithicone and a motility drug at the same time? Or is it just a weaker version of the same thing?

Simethicone only breaks up the gas bubbles, The motility drug encourages peristalsis which encourages movement of the food through the digestive tract. It is okay to give them at the same time.

I am hoping that there is definitely not a blockage in which event the motility drug would be contra-indicated.

Is your chin on shavings or on fleece? I have found it much easier to monitor poop output on fleece as even a small amount of poop counts and that is hard to see in shavings.

You do not need specially made fleece liners. When I am monitoring one of my chinss I just take a piece of fleece that I have bought from a fabric store, fold it over and place in the bottom of the cage. I count the droppings and shake it out several times a day to monitor for improvement.

BTW - I don't know where in Columbus you are located but Ralph & Barbara Shoots are in Columbus and they are taking care of their grand-daughters herd right now. They may be able to help you out with droppings.

Ralph and Barbara Shoots
7960 New Albany Condit Rd. (St. Rt. 605)
Westerville, OH 43081
Phone: (614) 855-1762
[email protected]

There is also Che Chinchillas in Circleville that maybe able to help. Che is a member here.

Giving simethicone in addition to other drugs shouldn't be a problem. You can give both. Simethicone helps break up gas pockets, while motility drugs promote the movement of the digestive tract (and digestion of any food in it with some) to move anything inside it along. Extra time out of the cage helps their digestive tract move along also. I made a little bag out of extra fleece lying around and microwaved some uncooked rice in it. I then put it under my chin's torso and it usually seems to help. Tummy rubs are hard to do since my chin just fought me the whole time, but others say it helps.

Just keep trying.

I bought some CCare and have been feeding 1.5 tablespoons a day

Feeding 1.5 tablespoons of hand feeding formula a day is not enough. You should feed about 55-65 ml (about 4 tablespoons) per 500g of body weight daily.

If your chin is constipated, you can mix some canned pumpkin (not pumpkin filling) with syringe feed. Pumpkin softens the stool and promotes its passage.

Have you tried giving your chin some alfalfa hay? Chins love alfalfa, and provision of alfalfa is recommended for chins who suffer from constipation – alfalfa is a very gentle laxative. It also stimulates appetite and eases digestive problems. Alfalfa's enzymes aid in food assimilation, and bioflavonoids reduce inflammation.

Also, as caiti said, you can administer a gentle abdominal massage (circular downwards motion towards the anus).

MILES POOPED TODAY!!

I've never been so happy to see poo before in my life. I came home with the smithicone today and and was surprised to find that the bottom of his entire sleepy house was covered in nasty gross poo. Fortunately, however, there was some relatively normal looking poo in the back of the house and he made a normal looking one when I took him out. I weighed him and he had lost 20 grams between 10am and 5pm. The treats I left in his food bowl were missing and after putting him back in his cage he began eating his hay. :) There are no words to say how happy I am that there is some improvement. I know we aren't in the clear yet, but at least there is some hope.

Feeding 1.5 tablespoons of hand feeding formula a day is not enough. You should feed about 55-65 ml (about 4 tablespoons) per 500g of body weight daily.

The 1.5 tablespoon was taken directly from the back of the package. I had been told by others on here that more was necessary, but I chose to limit the food intake somewhat in this situation because of the complete lack of defecation. I was afraid that feeding too much without anything coming out would lead to intestinal rupture. I think in other situations where Ccare is used, increasing the amount would probably be more appropriate, i.e. losing/lost a lot of weight, recovering from teeth issues etc. It would probably depend on the chin's weight too right? I'm curious what lead to the 55-65 ml suggestion that keeps popping up on here since it's grossly over the amount suggested by the manufacturer. I'm not doubting it's appropriateness or correctness, I'm just wondering what experience lead to this conclusion.

The reason why x-rays are taken during digestive issues is to plot the course of treatment-intestinal blockage is treated differently from hard bloat, stasis is treated different from both, so without the complete picture your could be doing harm to the chin by either not feeding enough or not feeding frequently enough, massaging or not massaging, motility drugs or none, sub Q fluids or oral fluids etc.

The reason why x-rays are taken during digestive issues is to plot the course of treatment-intestinal blockage is treated differently from hard bloat, stasis is treated different from both, so without the complete picture your could be doing harm to the chin by either not feeding enough or not feeding frequently enough, massaging or not massaging, motility drugs or none, sub Q fluids or oral fluids etc.

You are very right and I agree. That's the reason I pushed to get the x-ray done even though the vet thought we could put it off. I don't think I questioned the necessity of x-rays in my post......

No worries! :)

More updates: Miles is pooing more regularly, eating hay and also being a brat. All good things. :D

Great news! :))

I'm curious what lead to the 55-65 ml suggestion that keeps popping up on here since it's grossly over the amount suggested by the manufacturer. I'm not doubting it's appropriateness or correctness, I'm just wondering what experience lead to this conclusion.

Instructions that you see on the package are just general instructions for all herbivores (macropods, herbivorous reptiles, rabbits, herbivorous birds, chinchillas, guinea pigs, etc.). In a more detailed brochure (Product information), Oxbow states that the daily amount can be adjusted based on the animal type, condition, and weight. Some vets adjust the daily dosage, and some do not. For example, in Supplemental feeding of the sick guinea pig, the vet recommends 12-15 ml at least 4 times daily for adult-sized guinea pigs.

The reason you see the 55-65 ml suggestion that keeps popping up on here is because there are many experienced breeders, rescues, and pet owners who have been hand feeding chins and know that chinchillas require 60 ml+ a day for nutritional support and recovery.

The reason you see the 55-65 ml suggestion that keeps popping up on here is because there are many experienced breeders, rescues, and pet owners who have been hand feeding chins and know that chinchillas require 60 ml+ a day for nutritional support and recovery.

Thanks for your reply. I figured this was a given, but I was wondering if there was a more specific source. The gp source you shared would be right in line with the recommended dosage, if you think 1 tablespoon is 15 ml and an adult GP is about 1000-1200 grams, much larger than my chinny. Just curious. I'm all about taking care of my chin correctly. Just my academic side is perking up here. :)

Back