Not been a good two days

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You might have found your answer, Dawn. :yes:

Have a look-see here. http://www.flickr.com/photos/wisely-chosen/3287205560/

If that's true of wheatgrass juice then it is possible the same is true of the chins' wheatgrass (maybe). In theory if Guido stuffs his little furry face with wheatgrass then he may be giving himself a sugar rush which he didn't get last night. :hmm:

Interesting.

Dawn I hope things turn around for you - I know when it rains it pours and seizures are really scary!

That is interesting, I bet that is what happened little dude did not get his sugar and he needs it. I have used wheat grass in the pens almost without fail for almost 10 years so if he had this problem when he was younger it would not have showed up. They love wheat grass now I know why!

Lets hope that's the reason & he has no more fits. :thumbsup:

I had forgot how freakin scarey they are and did not recognize what it was I was so freaked, thought little dude was dying!

I had forgot how freakin scarey they are and did not recognize what it was I was so freaked, thought little dude was dying!
You know they do it on purpose, don't you? It's part of their cunning plan for world domination. :rofl:

Fingers crossed for Lu too.

Lu was acting like Lu always is, his weight is steady, toys chewed, food and water gone as usual, bright and active. The point was the top right front tooth aiming front and slightly towards the cheek, no other points and good wear on the occlusal surfaces. I noticed this morning at play that I saw no more itching so I will watch him this evening and see if he is still doing it. I have no idea what the correlation between the eyes and the point was unless it was his way of showing a pain response?

I would think there's a good chance it's not malo. If he has no other symptoms--and you yourself are always telling us newbs that the weight can be a major indicator. I know when I bite my cheek, I get tears in my eyes. I'm not sure why, just happens, like when you yawn and get watery eyes. And whenever I get watery eyes or cry, I ALWAYS get itchy horrible eyes because the tears made little particles of dust or what not get into my eyes, which makes me want to cry more. It's a vicious circle. I can imagine this must happen to chins, especially since they have lots of fur around their eyes to hold dust which gets wet and brings it in under their lids.

As for Guido--sounds like he might be hypoglycemic. Seizures are weird and can happen with no explanation. My cat has epilepsy and has been fine for a couple years with it. No one knows why, of course, she has had them. So even if it isn't hypoglycemia, seizures are not a death sentence.

Hope you feel better!! Your step-chin says hi and SHE LOVES YOU!!!!!

ohnoes_edited2.jpg

dawnrun_edited2.jpg

I am glad both boys are better Dawn! It is very scarey when things like that happen, but they are in capable hands with you!!! Keep us updated.

A update, Guido has not had any more problems since the wheat grass has been avaliable.

Lu has been the problem child and now I know I am getting too old to hand feed chins 24/7/365 anymore. He went back to Adobe 3 times in 3 weeks since the mouth issue was not getting resolved, I insisted there was a issue and they insisted not, I had to agree, looking into the mouth with my own otoscope (Lu deep throats the syringe to eat so he thinks the otoscope is a syringe and I can get a really good view of pretty much everything) the teeth look good, straight and short, no points along the edges at all. So finally I cave and make the appointment with the dentist-its a 100 mile round trip so I dont make those appointments lightly. Dr Beers sees him and like usual I am eating my liver waiting for the results-she does not sugar coat anything. Little dude had a point at the lower rear molar that curved down and backward and bored a hole into the tissue where the upper and lower jaw meet, a big hole evidently hense the profuse drool that appeared a week prior to the appointment. She trims it, irrigates the hole and cleans it out. Fast forward a week, no improvment and now she is on vacation, Lu is still drooling and he goes to Adobe on thurs to be put under for another inspection and irrigation. He is on antibiotics but the problem is food is impacting in the hole and Dr Beers told me this is going to be a pain to deal with to get it to heal, may need a few apointments of irrigation. The good news is his teeth are perfect and he will be fine once we get over this hump but MAN I forgot what dealing with a drooling chin is like and the stress fest involved. He is a dream to feed so it makes it easier but it gets tiring at work when the audience of customers catch me doing it.

Dawn,
I am really sorry to read of Lu's mouth trouble. I hope that his situation turns for the better fast and that he may heal completely soon.
My thoughts are with you!

I am going to assume that since the wound can't be cleaned well due to the location they don't want to seal anything in that could abscess.

Poor Lu. Shell and I are keeping him in our thoughts. I know he his in excellent hands.

Poor Lu! I'm glad it's something that will be okay once it heals up.

I hope with the irrigation it will heal up without any more events! Give Lucifer my love and tell him to feel better soon!

So Lu went that thurs and was put under, no hole, it was healed up. Dr. Nakamura did find another point the Dentist missed that had dug a wound in his back cheek and other than that, nothing. So I am like "Are you sure there is nothing else?" , "you need to do anymore x-rays?" "You see nothing else at all?" and he said the point was causing the drool and nothing else. So back to hand feeding, day 1-4, no change still drooling and not eating a dang thing on his own, call back to both Dr. Nakamura and Dr. Beers, both agree there is not one thing going on in his mouth to make him do this, just handfeed until he eats on his own, well WTF what happens if this is forever and I am frankly P.O.ed at the diagnosis it is all in his head. Day 5-7 still drooling and not eating squat, Day 8, Friday dude is dry that morning, and 8 of the 10 oats are gone from his bowl and the alfalfa has been moved around the cage, Day 9 today little dude was again dry, all the oats were gone and 2 manna and 3 equine senior pellets were gone and alfalfa was definetly missing, so if this continues he is getting cut off from his hand feeding he entirely likes too much. I will be SO GLAD when this nightmare ends!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back