No Longer Mates

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kurilla22

I have a male and female chin in the same cage. They have been mates for well over a year when they use to belong to a friend. They had one kit together almost 1 year ago and after the kit was weaned the dad was placed back in the cage. They haven't had a litter in almost a year and every time the dad tries to mate the mother is very stand off-ish. They get along fine, play together, sleep together, and groom each other. I don't really want them to mate and i planned on separating them but I'm not sure if its necessary. I feel like they are cage mates and not breeding mates anymore. Could it be possible for the mom to never mate with the dad again?

Possible, yes. Probable... Do you want to risk it? If you want them to be cage mates and not breeding mates, why don't you get the male neutered?

They are going to have more babies because that's what males and females do. The only way around having more babies is to have the male neutered or separate them.

I did not want to put him through surgery if its not necessary. I'll just separate them then. Thanks for the input guys :))

Back