no drill. best way to make holes in hay cubes?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChinnyMom

slave to Rhino and Guss
just like the title says, i don't have a drill, and i want to string hay cubes on homemade toys. what's the best way? hammer and a nail?

I don't know if your hay cubes would flake into pieces this way or not. You could just give it a try and see what happens? I've never tried anything other than a drill.

i don't actually have the cubes yet, hoping to pick some up in the next few days (from somewhere other than petsmart, theirs look really crappy!). i'll try the hammer and nail and see how it goes, and let y'all know if it just demolishes the cubes in the process, lol.

my dad has a nice drill press in his garage, but the garage is very 'shoppy' and there is oil and varsol aroma everywhere, so i don't know if Rhino would want anything to do with hay cubes after they are in that sort of environment.

If you have a small blade like a pocket knife, you can spin it to carve out a hole. It'll be messy but probably less likely to break into pieces.

thanks Chin Up, good to know it's been done and worked. if i end up with a few split ones no big deal, i'm sure my glutton of a Rhino will eat them up, lol.

If you're still looking for alfalfa cubes check out horse tack/feed stores. Or if you have any horsey friends that feed alalfa cubes?? I buy mine in big bags for my horse but you can quite often find them in bulk too, just have to look around. As for making a hole in them I've also only used a drill...and even them some still split lol

one step ahead of you Cookie, lol. i'm heading over to a store called G&E Pharmacy tomorrow afternoon. they are a tack/feed/veterinary/pet/food supply place, and i've been meaning to get up there, so tomorrow's the day!

they likely have hay cubes in larger size bags for livestock and not the small pet size packages, so how long do hay cubes stay good for? i have access to a vacuum sealer, will that help?

i'm also going to see if they carry Oxbow pellets, because i'd much rather support a mom n pop than petsmart!

Back