Newborn Kits Fighting

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello!

My Ebony chinchilla Blossom gave birth to three beautiful kits this morning! But the problem is, they are all constantly fighting! One has been bitten on the nose, and I have treated it, but how do I stop this? I don't want them to kill each other... Will they stop on their own? Or do I need to intervene? Please help!

Okay! What is the best to supplement them with? Also, the mom, Blossom, occasionally will have slimy blood coming from her genitals. She just gave birth this morning, so is that normal? This is her first time giving birth.

I would rotate, not hand feed at this point. Triplets often fight and it may have nothing to do with milk production. Sometimes they fight because one is smaller, sometimes because they are fighting over a nipple. Kit fights will quickly turn deadly. You have no idea how much damage they can do until you actually see the aftermath.

If dad is separate from mom and is in a kit proof cage, then rotate out the largest kit by itself and put it in with dad. Every two hours, switch the two smaller ones and the one bigger one around. If one is really small, then I would leave that one in with mom at all times and rotate out the two bigger ones every two hours. Make sure that the cage that dad is in is kit proof so you don't have a kit escape and die somewhere that you can't find it.

If you don't have dad separate, or his cage isn't kit proof, then you need a kit proof carrier. You will need to place half of the carrier on a heating pad on law, the other half off the heating pad. The kits can move off the heat if it gets too warm this way. Give them something to cuddle up with like a stuffed animal or some fleece. Remember to rotate EVERY TWO HOURS. Set your alarm - that means overnight too.

If you do end up needing to hand feed, which again, I would see if rotation works first, then there is an FAQ under breeding and babies about taking care of kits in the event that mom can't or won't. Read through that and it has all the information you need.

Okay, thank you all so much for your help! I have them in a separate cage that I have kit proofed, and the dad and the other chinchillas are in the bigger one that is not kit proofed. I have been keeping a close watch on them, and they seem to be doing a little better today. It was crazy though, because when I found them, they were all just fighting with each other and I'm just like, "You're babies for Pete's sake!" It's amazing how developed they are! But they were scaring me because sometimes they'd go for the neck. :( Again, thank you so much for your help... This website is a life saver! :)

Also, as I didn't see anyone mention...the slimy discharge IS somewhat normal for the first day so long as she's definitely done littering? Did you feel her to make sure she delivered everyone? Also, weights! You won't be able to monitor how everyone is doing unless you're weighing them daily. A weigh once or twice a day at the same times. For example, if you weigh once a day do it at (just an example) 11am every morning. If you weigh twice do it (for example) at 11am and then again at 11pm every day. Try to weigh close to the same time every day as weight can fluctuate at different times of the day

Thank you for answering that! It has stopped; I felt her for any firmness but she was all squishy. I just didn't know if she was cut up pretty bad or what... Pikachu hadn't had any of that, but she has been bred all her life so maybe that has something to do with it? I went and bought a scale the other day but it only weighs every 20 grams so it didn't do me much good other than I found out they all weighed about 60 grams or so... I'm going to go back and get a different one as soon as I can! Thank you for your advice! I didn't think about doing it twice a day, I will do that. :)

I feed goats milk (you can get it in the milk isle of most walmarts) if they need supplementing. Sometimes its works to give it to the bigger ones so the little one gets mothers milk and it prevents the little one from being beat up if the bigger ones bellies are full. Good luck!

Okay, thank you! Do you add anything to the goats milk? Also, how warm do they like it? I tried making it a little warmer than room temperature, but they didn't eat it, and by the time I had gotten it in their mouth, it was cold!

Did you read the FAQ under breeding and babies? It tells you the mix to use for kits for hand feeding. It's a good idea to print it out and keep it handy, in case you might need to refer to it.

Some places carry fresh goats milk. I try to use that whenever possible instead of the canned. It tastes way better.

I think I have... Didn't it say to add baby cereal and water? I don't have any baby cereal on hand, so I was just wondering if Brandy used anything different. I found some fresh goats milk at Trader Joe's! I'm glad I could find it there... It was hard to find!

If you use fresh goats milk you don't add water, just baby cereal. If you use canned it's one can milk, one can water, and baby cereal.

Back