New to the young chiny

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spiravina

So here's my situation:
My boyfriend has had a male chin for 5 years, he's estimated to be around 7. His name is Pete. Well Pete was neglected from the first owners before my bf, and so he doesn't like attention outside of the cage. However in the cage he's totally friendly. He won't come on to your hand or anything but Pete sure does love his scratches and treats. I've been with my bf for 3 years so I've been taking care of Pete too of course. I understand how to care for him, but I never had to try to bond to him or anything.

A few days ago I brought home a 7 week old chin. I had been talking to a woman online who had a few babies unexpectedly and was putting up for sale. And that they wouldn't be ready for a few weeks. She let him go at 7weeks and after more research I'm wondering if he really should have stayed longer. I've named him (or her, I am unsure..) Nimbus. Or Nim for short.

When I met this woman and her family they were obviously doing very well with the chins but they also weren't breeders and were doing the best they could. We are taking Peter and Nimbus to the vet for a check up soon. My boyfriend made an appointment.

I was originally hoping we could eventually keep Pete and Nim together, as long as both are male. The first two nights I had Nim in a separate room. For a couple days now he's been in the same room as Pete. It seems to be going okay. I don't have the cages too close, just far enough that they can see each other but Nim doesnt feel the need to stay away.

I give Pete attention before I give Nim attention, to be sure that he doesn't feel forgotten. I don't give Nim treats, but the past owners gave him dried apples. Nim also eats his pellets without any issue. He ate them at his old home too. Nim loves to hang out my shoulder, and run around my neck and he seems really sweet. I think he might be even perking up to his name. Nim has pretty much the same size cage as Pete, of course with wheel and hidey hole, platforms, marble block at the bottom of the cage, water bottle and food on one of the platforms.
Since putting the chins in the same room, I've seen Nim popcorn a bunch! I had to look it up because it scared me at first. And even Peter has started to do it and my bf said he's never seen him do that. They seem happy. I can't wait to get them together. I'm just concerned that Nim may have been a bit too young to bring home. And I just want to make sure I'm doing everything I can to make sure he's alright. He seems to be eating plenty of food and drinking water just fine. Seems a little itchy though.

I'd like to know how I could get Nim a little more used to his name. And also if I posted pics would anyone be able to sex Nim for me? I am unsure and I hate that I keep calling it a him for ease of conversation lol.

Just a few things to clarify before I get into answering your questions. First, you are right not giving treats to the kit, chins under 6-12 months shouldn't get treats at all, they need all the belly room for good food for growing. Second, no fruits (even dried), it can cause a lot of gut issues and is too high in sugar which can cause issues, including diabetes. Just like no treats there should be no wheel in a kit's cage either, they need all their energy to grow. Also little to no playtime, they are known to over do it and, worse case, die. You can take Nim out to hold, and change the cage and things, but no more then 5-10 minutes of actually running around per day. I would also make extra sure that Nim can't fall more then 6-12 inches, you don't say how big the cage is, but kits are very clumsy and love to climb.

Yes 7 weeks is too young, chins are weaned at 8-10 weeks, and normally kept for a couple more weeks to make sure they are growing and eating properly. Kits should be at least a couple hundred grams to be big enough to go to a new home, ideally bigger. I would get a gram scale if you don't already have one and weigh the kit regularly to make sure Nim is gaining weight and everything. Make sure there is plenty of alfalfa hay as well as the pellets to eat too, growing kits need the extra calcium and stuff in the alfalfa hay for growing. Timothy hay is good in addition too, but at this age alfalfa is more important.

If you post a pic there are people that can help sex Nim for you, it's best to post on a photo sharing page and link it though since the forum keeps having issue with attached pics. Nim will learn it's name over time, just keep talking to Nim and using the name. Bonding is mostly just being with the chin, talking, reading, singing, and just being in the same room to get the chin use to your smell, voice, etc. Chins do enjoy music, so if you do sing or play an instrument all the better, but listening to music is good too, once you find something they like. Bonding takes time, weeks to years for a good bond to form, just like a bond between humans. They are long living prey animals, so you need to earn their trust, it's not freely given like with a dog, especially if they were mistreated or neglected (like you mentioned with Pete). Most chins are never cuddly though, I've had over a dozen chins over the years, and have only had a few that would actually cuddle. Outside the cage they normally just want to run around and use you as a jungle gym, not sit and be petted.

Popcorning is a sign of happiness, and a good sign but not a guarantee that they will get along. They could simply be happy to have another chin to talk to. Some chins enjoy neighbors and playmates but not cage mates. Keep in mind though, that if they are male and female they can never be together, even for playtime, mating takes a second, too fast for you to stop it.

For future reference, new chins should spend 30 days quarantined in another room from your current chin(s), that gives any illness time to appear before exposing your current ones to it. Also that time also allows the new chin to settle in and get use to the new environment (sights, sounds, smells), and gives you a start on bonding without upsetting the current chin.

yea, they most definitely let the little one go to early. Chins are generally weened form mom at around 8 weeks old. Altho they can be at 7. But even so, a responsible owner would hold on to him for another week or two to make sure he is doing good on him own; healthy, eating, drinking, pooping, etc. - I sure hope these ppl have the sense now to separate there male and female.

When bringing in a new chin, you want to keep him completely separated in another room for at least 30 days. This quarantine period is to allow you to see if he might be carrying any illnesses or such. They are very very good at hiding them and you dont want something passing to you current chin. - But your quarantine was already broken.

Kits shouldnt really have treats or play time until around 6 months old. They need to conserve there energy for growing. You also will want to keep ledges closer together and never to high off the ground. Kits are clumsy and still learning to judge distance as well. You dont want them falling from a high distance and injuring themselves.

Latest posts

Back