New Puppy, Koby!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sasha

Mmm Helicobacter pylori..
Yesturday my mom wakes me up and says that she wants to go to the Humane Society to look at this one dog she was interested in.. I was concerned because I am allergic to some breeds of dogs, and wasn't sure if it was such a great idea, but we said we would go and see how I react.

We got there and browsed around a bit. The Humane Society is newly relocated into this GORGEOUS facility (and I mean amazing) and they have these big, nice rooms for the dogs. We finally found the dog we were interested in, listed as Eugene on the rescue site. He's a 6 month old chocolate colored Australian shepard/border collie mix and he was ADORABLE!

I played fetch and tug of war with him for about a half hour, and only a few hives, very tiny ones came up.. So needless to say we are now +1 in the dog category, lol.

He spent the night with me, and was such a doll. Slept on the bed I made him and didn't make a sound. He is so well-behaved. He is also house trained, the only issue is he can be very unruly on the leash. He's awesome with the kids though, even with our baby cousin. Oh and he gets along great with our male pomeranian, Sabby, but not so much with my dog Chelsea. Chelsea is the alpha of the house, and she's gone after him a couple times (no damage done, just growling and nipping) even though she's about 1/4 the size of him. Koby is finally getting it now though, and he steers away from her, just how she likes it. :rolleyes:

And here are some pics of Koby!

Koby and little sister Bella

P1040759.jpg

Koby and Nick

P1040776.jpg

Koby, Nick and Bella

P1040783.jpg

Koby

P1040794.jpg

Koby is a beautiful dog and I'm sure he'll be in doggy heaven with you and your family. Don't give up on the leash - it is not that hard to leash train them. Never let the dog walk in front - that's a sign of dominance, or alpha, and you, the human are alpha and take the lead. Some dogs can be trained easily to walk on a leash, some need a training collar to help them learn. But I'm so happy he isn't triggering your allergy too bad! He sounds like he'll be a wonderful companion.

My mom and I have been working with him on the leash. I'm sure he'll eventually come around. He's still young and has way too much energy, lol.

I am so surprised at my lack of allergies with him. I used to be pretty allergic to our pomeranian and after a few years it's completely gone.

Sasha he's gorgeous! I have to say though I would have kept the Eugene name! I love that name! But I love these pics of Nicky and Bella with him too! Now how about some of you and Scott?

A dog that mix WILL have a lot of energy. Throw a tennis ball or a frisbee until the dog just can't return it to you anymore. LOL Then try walking him on the leash. I have a border collie and they need lots of exercise. Lots and lots and lots.

He's doing so much better on the leash! He knows how to sit now, and lay down.

Between my two younger siblings, myself, my fiance and my mom and dad, Koby gets so much exercise and attention that by the end of the day he is so tired he can't lift his head. Plus he has Sabby to play with, though Chelsea wants nothing to do with him lol.

He's great with the kids. Last night we found Bella sleeping on the floor beside Koby with her arm wrapped around him and they were both snoozing on their sides, completely out. My dad and I couldn't believe it, I wish I'd have had a camera.

Koby is one handsome, lucky dog! Sounds like he's the happiest dog in the world in his new home! Glad he's coming around on the leash! :)

Thanks everyone!

He's been doing very well. His leash problems are literally gone. He's on a road trip right now with my family to our Cabin in BC. We'll see if he likes the lake and swimming!

Awww he's so cute Sasha! Seems like he'll be a great dog! And that's great that your allergies aren't acting up badly. I can't imagine having allergies!

Back