New Owner - Lots to get used to!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monarch

The Chinchilla Maid...
Hi everyone, I'd like to begin by expressing gratitude for the very existence of this forum and the supportive community that is behind it. I was naive and overwhelmed when I brought in my new chin, and this is the most informative source for chinchilla care out there!

My new chin came into my life a few days ago, and we're at the birth of a new relationship. :heart3: A friend of a friend had to give her chin away because of a new baby on the way, and I have just moved into a new apartment with my boyfriend and I very much wanted a pet to keep us company. I am doing constant research every day and am pretty neurotic about following the rules and suggestions that have come up. But, like another member has stated somewhere, a common theme seems to be conflicting information. Also, I just want to make sure that I'm on the right track and don't miss any little detail that could end up being a fatal blow to my chin! (like feeding raisins -- good thing I checked!)

The chin is about 3 years old and she's had it his whole life. But after reading this site and other chinchilla care sites, I'm a little apprehensive about the way she took care of him. The cage has no little housing. What I mean is, there is no hole or niche or hammock or anything for the chin to hide in when he wants to sleep. It is a moderately large cage with three tiers and ramps, and apple sticks on the side and a chew wood toy, but there is nowhere he can go when he wants to get away from it all. I was surprised at this and I wondered if this is important for chinchillas? I had a feeling that it was but I'm a little cautious about going out and purchasing a new thing to add to his cage if he's already having to get acclimated to my new apartment and a new owner. Also what could I possibly put in there that he wont chew up? Am I just imagining that a chinchilla would need this item? It seems to me essential for a healthy and content chin.

Also about dust bath, the previous owner said to give him a bath every two to three weeks, but on this site I read every 2-3 days for dry weather. I live in southern california so dry weather indeed. If he has been living his life not getting enough dust bath I assume he could have developped skin problems ? Is there anything I should check for? Any supplements I should provide for prevention/care of skin problems?

About heat... My live-in boyfriend and I have begun a squabble over the issue of windows. Our apartment has these new energy efficient windows, which are wonderful in every aspect except that they end up being -too- efficient, and I feel like not enough ventilation occurs and it can get a little warm inside by the afternoon, or when we're cooking. We have begun to argue over the windows as I demand to have them open near the chinchilla so it can get cool air, and he is adamant about keeping them closed because we live in an apartment complex and he doesn't want neighbors listening in on what we're doing. He told me it wasn't that warm, and when I looked at my thermometer it showed the temperature to be 75 degrees and I got very concerned. He doesn't believe that that temperature would be to warm for the chinchilla. I'm afraid this could start being a regular problem between us and I need advice on how to handle this particular situation! How can I keep the chinchilla cool if I can't have the windows open (no airconditioner)? Is 75 degrees okay for the chin?

I also read somewhere that chins shouldnt be near drafts, but I noticed I turned on the fan near him and he seemed to like it, he went up to the fan and snuggled up near it with his eyes closed as if he really enjoyed it. I didnt point the fan so that it covered the whole cage, just a specific corner of it so that he could escape if he needed to. Do you think air blowing on him is ok?

Also the chin has been solo his whole life and when I look inside the cage my heart goes out for him for being the only one of his species in the house. Are chinchillas okay with being solitary animals? Would they be happier with a companion? I read how risky it can be to introduce a new cage mate to a chinchilla. Is this a risk I shouldnt take as a new owner? What about my chin, should I not subject him to additional stress? Since he's been on his own for so long, would it be better if he stayed solo since he's not used to having other chins around him?

I read that I should leave him out to play for at least 45 minutes every day, which I definitely plan on doing (the old owner never did this. she only took him out to sit on her lap while she watched tv). When I take him out though, he doesn't seem to play much. He kind of scurries to darker places and walls and corners, but doesn't run around or explore as much as I thought he would. Is he depressed? Scared? Too fat? Maybe I need to have a play area that has actual toys or "gyms" that he can run up/down/through to get more exercise?

His cage doesn't have a wheel or saucer either. Is saucer better? Would he even be able to figure it out if he's never had one before?

Oh my goodness I can't believe I typed up so much, but I'm just so concerned about my new baby and I just want the best for him! The woman that gave him to me is very sweet and nice, but now that I've done research it seems she did not know how to care for her chin at all! I hope that he is okay... I hope that he'll be able to grow to be happy and healthy. I really want to give the best life for him and erase the depression that must have come on from his previous life :(

I was overwhelmed at first too. I've only been a chin owner for a couple months. I have learned a ton on this site, and from a couple private breeders I've bought from.
I have 4 cages and in each I have a hidey house, hammock, water bottle, food dish attached to the cage to prevent spilling, Cardboard tubes that are rolled in oats (buy them at Petsmart for 4 bucks and they LOVE them!), hay hanger with plenty of timothy hay, PVC tubes with fleece covering, wood and lava ledges, a litter pan, and plenty of chew toys and loofah chews.
I have a wheel in one of my cages because I have a bigger chin who loves his wheel. I will be adding a wheel to each cage soon, I'm just waiting a few more weeks because my babies are all 13 weeks and younger.
You didn't mention timothy hay in your post. Chins should have constant access to loose timothy hay (I use Oxbow). You should also use a good quality pellet, not the stuff from the pet store that's full of treats. A good treat to use a couple times a week (if you choose to give treats) are rosehips, a cheerio, or a plain mini shredded wheat). I also use distilled water and if I don't have any, I boil water and refrigerate it before filling up their bottles.
Tell your boyfriend that yes, chins do get hot. They have over 50 hairs coming out of each follicle on their bodies. If he had 50 times more hair on him than he does now, he'd be hot also.
Since your chin is older, if you got him a friend, you would probably have to introduce them gradually. You'd need another cage to set them a few inches apart. You do run the chnce of them still not getting along though. A breeder told me if you introduce a baby chin to an adult, they will usually take to the baby and get along. I introduced a baby boy to my 6 month old meanie chin and they get along great.
Well, I'm new at this, but this is what I've learned. There's lots of info on here!! Good luck with your new baby!!

Hi everyone, I'd like to begin by expressing gratitude for the very existence of this forum and the supportive community that is behind it. I was naive and overwhelmed when I brought in my new chin, and this is the most informative source for chinchilla care out there!

Welcome! Lots of good info here

My new chin came into my life a few days ago, and we're at the birth of a new relationship. :heart3: A friend of a friend had to give her chin away because of a new baby on the way, and I have just moved into a new apartment with my boyfriend and I very much wanted a pet to keep us company. I am doing constant research every day and am pretty neurotic about following the rules and suggestions that have come up. But, like another member has stated somewhere, a common theme seems to be conflicting information. Also, I just want to make sure that I'm on the right track and don't miss any little detail that could end up being a fatal blow to my chin! (like feeding raisins -- good thing I checked!)

The chin is about 3 years old and she's had it his whole life. But after reading this site and other chinchilla care sites, I'm a little apprehensive about the way she took care of him. The cage has no little housing. What I mean is, there is no hole or niche or hammock or anything for the chin to hide in when he wants to sleep. It is a moderately large cage with three tiers and ramps, and apple sticks on the side and a chew wood toy, but there is nowhere he can go when he wants to get away from it all. I was surprised at this and I wondered if this is important for chinchillas? I had a feeling that it was but I'm a little cautious about going out and purchasing a new thing to add to his cage if he's already having to get acclimated to my new apartment and a new owner. Also what could I possibly put in there that he wont chew up? Am I just imagining that a chinchilla would need this item? It seems to me essential for a healthy and content chin.

Yes in the wild chins seek shelter from birds of prey and other predators so they feel secure when they have a hidey house. You can put ones made from wood in or you can buy fleece ones from any of the suppliers listed in the classified section.

Also about dust bath, the previous owner said to give him a bath every two to three weeks, but on this site I read every 2-3 days for dry weather. I live in southern california so dry weather indeed. If he has been living his life not getting enough dust bath I assume he could have developped skin problems ? Is there anything I should check for? Any supplements I should provide for prevention/care of skin problems?

2-3 weeks is too infrequent - I imagine your little guy looks pretty greasy. Two to three times a week is normal. I doubt he has developed any problems from that but if you see any flakey skin or missing hair patches that could indicate a skin condition. Most owners don't provide a specific supplement for skin but there are several good, safe supplements out there for general health

About heat... My live-in boyfriend and I have begun a squabble over the issue of windows. Our apartment has these new energy efficient windows, which are wonderful in every aspect except that they end up being -too- efficient, and I feel like not enough ventilation occurs and it can get a little warm inside by the afternoon, or when we're cooking. We have begun to argue over the windows as I demand to have them open near the chinchilla so it can get cool air, and he is adamant about keeping them closed because we live in an apartment complex and he doesn't want neighbors listening in on what we're doing. He told me it wasn't that warm, and when I looked at my thermometer it showed the temperature to be 75 degrees and I got very concerned. He doesn't believe that that temperature would be to warm for the chinchilla. I'm afraid this could start being a regular problem between us and I need advice on how to handle this particular situation! How can I keep the chinchilla cool if I can't have the windows open (no airconditioner)? Is 75 degrees okay for the chin?

If you don't have airconditioning you should not be keeping a chinchilla period. There is no way to get around that requirement especially in California summers. Optimal chin keeping temperatures are between 50-70 degrees fareinheit. 75 or greater and you are running the risk of the chin overheating and heatstroke. Chins have no way to sweat in that fur so they just simply get hotter. When chins get too hot they become lethargic and their ears get pink.

I also read somewhere that chins shouldnt be near drafts, but I noticed I turned on the fan near him and he seemed to like it, he went up to the fan and snuggled up near it with his eyes closed as if he really enjoyed it. I didnt point the fan so that it covered the whole cage, just a specific corner of it so that he could escape if he needed to. Do you think air blowing on him is ok?

No, don't point the fan at the cage - that can lead to URI. A fan in the room is good but just point it away from the cage

Also the chin has been solo his whole life and when I look inside the cage my heart goes out for him for being the only one of his species in the house. Are chinchillas okay with being solitary animals? Would they be happier with a companion? I read how risky it can be to introduce a new cage mate to a chinchilla. Is this a risk I shouldnt take as a new owner? What about my chin, should I not subject him to additional stress? Since he's been on his own for so long, would it be better if he stayed solo since he's not used to having other chins around him?

Some chins prefer to be alone and some like companionship. It is risky to have multiple chins housed together as they could decide they hate each other one day even after years of cohabitating and seriously injure or kill each other. If you did decide to introduce another chin you need to be prepared to have a cage for each chin incase they never get along. I would take time to let this one settle in and get to know you for a while before I introduced a new chin (as in several months). The key is to go slow with these guys and build trust

I read that I should leave him out to play for at least 45 minutes every day, which I definitely plan on doing (the old owner never did this. she only took him out to sit on her lap while she watched tv). When I take him out though, he doesn't seem to play much. He kind of scurries to darker places and walls and corners, but doesn't run around or explore as much as I thought he would. Is he depressed? Scared? Too fat? Maybe I need to have a play area that has actual toys or "gyms" that he can run up/down/through to get more exercise?

If your room is 75 degrees when you let him out I would say frankly he's probably hot and getting hotter as he tries to play so he's trying to stay cool. I would turn down the thermostat before you let him out again and see if that makes a difference. He also is probably scared since he's only been there three days. You might give him a little more time getting used to his cage before you let him out. Play gyms and toys are great ideas.

His cage doesn't have a wheel or saucer either. Is saucer better? Would he even be able to figure it out if he's never had one before?

Either wheel is good - there are some threads about wheels and good choices. Yes most chins can figure it out - I have some that lived in breeding runs for their whole lives and figured it out within days

Oh my goodness I can't believe I typed up so much, but I'm just so concerned about my new baby and I just want the best for him! The woman that gave him to me is very sweet and nice, but now that I've done research it seems she did not know how to care for her chin at all! I hope that he is okay... I hope that he'll be able to grow to be happy and healthy. I really want to give the best life for him and erase the depression that must have come on from his previous life :(

Good luck and do lots of reading - if you use the search function you can find lots of threads related to introductions, playtime and anything else you could possibly want to know:thumbsup:

Thanks for the info guys. Last night I came home and made an emergency housing out of carboard with no paint/glue on it so that he could hide in and he took to it right away. He's also begun to come up to me in the cage and lets me pet him, which I am so glad for! The first night I tried to let him out by holding him in my hands and I realized that may not be a good idea, so now I use the dust bath and its perfect. He hops in, and let him out, and he hops out. When its time to go back in he just hops back in the dustbath!

He got used to being out and last night was running around all over the place bouncing off the walls. I was so pleased! He seemed very happy and curious! He even came to run around my feet :)

We've reached an agreement about the windows and the temperature has dropped dramatically. I do not have an airconditioner, but as it is not summer yet I dont think it will be too much of a problem. When spring comes I will buy a unit.

Yes I have hay. I forgot what kind it is since I'm at work, I will check when I get back. The food pellets seem to be for rabbits. I don't remember the brand either. I think I should change the feed. If I do, I know to do so very slowly. He hasn't eaten much since I've had him, so I don't want to traumatize him too much.

I noticed some patches of hair coming off. He was like that when I got him too. It's not very drammatic and its only little puffs of hair, but it is happening. What does this mean?

Chins can have "fur slips" which is when a patch of hair is completely released from the pores. They will have a bald spot, which can be hard to notice if the hair around it is covering it. They slip their fur as a defense mechanism to get out of the grasp of a predator. If you can just kind of look through his hair (I think blowing on it helps but it might confuse or scare him a bit--it won't kill him but might make you feel guilty, hehe) and see if his skin is red or irritated. Otherwise, I'd bet it's a fur slip since they do that when they are scared and think they are being chased/grabbed.

Glad you've worked out the temperature thing also.

Welcome to the forum. You've come to the right place for information. IMO, I'd just keep reading, reading and reading. Its pretty rare that a question hasn't already been asked and answered.
:hithere:

Dusty - Thanks for the tip, I didn't notice a search bar! It solved mostly all my problems!

Just one more quick question: The dust the previous owner had been using is Kaytee dust bath, which I read can dry out the fur.

But I've been looking at my chin's fur and it simply won't stay flowy and fluffy. It's not that he's 'greasy' per se, but i can tell that the fur is not as dry and free flowing as normal chinchillas. I've been trying to let him have a little bit of time in the bath every day to try to help that, but I noticed that because he's so fat he can't do a full roll in the dust bath so he uses his paws to throw dust to his back side.

However, the feed that he's been eating is Kaytee Forti-Diet for rabbits, which I've read to be not optimal. Could this diet by responsible?

The Kaytee stuff isn't as fine as Blue Cloud, so the little grits can irritate their skin. As far as I know, all dust can dry out the skin the same (as long as it's the same ingredient).

Hhhmmm...I am curious about him not being able to roll. When you say he uses his paws to throw dust on his back do you mean like he digs at the dust, pushing it underneath himself? That is normal behavior and it could be he's too shy to do a full roll in front of you yet. Remember--they're prey animals and rolling around makes them quite vulnerable so it's instinctual to not do this behavior in any possibly threatening situation. You see what he's doing--you'd have a better idea than I would if this is in fact what he is doing. Does he seems to have any other physical limitations that would suggest he's injured in some way? If not, he may just be hesitating to roll, not unable to. The dust should help in time, it's not an instant thing as you know.

Diet in general can cause his excess weight and lower fur quality. As for the rabbit Forti-Diet, I looked it up and there are apparently multiple products so I don't know what the nutritional information is but if you're switching his food anyways you will probably notice a change in him for the better overall.

That's a good point, although I have left the room and watched him in the bath house and he still didn't do a full roll. I think it simply boils down to him being pudge and having a hard time actually rolling - he's lived his whole life not having an exercise wheel and not being let out to run around, and fed what seems to me to be fatty foods. Honestly in the past week I've had him I've already noticed him getting a little thinner and able to run around faster (it's not that he's not eating, he's just getting exercise!)

You should get a scale that weighs grams at least 1200 grams or more. You can get them cheaply at Walmart. It will come in handy to check his weight every month or two and when you think he's off/ possibly sick. You'll find tips and ideas on how to weigh him by searching. I rescued a boy who was fat and flabby with no muscle tone and yes he did lose weight and tone up. You will be amazed in a month how much better his fur, color, tone and attitude will be in the hands of a caring, intelligent owner like yourself. Welcome, Theresa

I adopted a pet store chin who didn't look his best at first. I agree that with proper dust, feed, and exercise you will see a huge improvement in his condition. I have had my boy a little over 10 months now and he looks just fabulous on good feed, Blue Cloud dust, and daily use of his Chin Spin.

I have a chin I got off craigslist and named her Pudge... can you guess why?
She never really bathed when I first got her. She was really skittish, usually hopping in the bath and then right back out. When she did "bathe" she would just kind of stick her head in the dust and run away.
I started offering the dust less often, and she would get more and more excited to see the bath come out.
I think it also had to do with her being shy of me. Her being comfortable with me and comfortable with the bath happened at the same time.
She was also using Kaytee bath with her old owner, and I switched her to Blue Cloud. Her food was also switched from Kaytee Fiesta to Purina. The change in her fur is incredible. When I got her, it was like she had cat fur. It was generally course and kind of clumpy. The combination food and dust change worked wonders. Her fur is GORGEOUS now, even better than my other chin who I've had for years.

I also wanted to say thank you just that this forum even exists. I got my little chinchilla boys 2 weeks ago and this forum has been a wealth of information both before and after getting them. The tips, advice, and experiences shared here have been just fantastic in helping me bond and take care of my cute little babies. Thank you all!

I am so glad you posted this! I am hoping to get a chinchilla soon (I'm doing lots of research first to make sure a furry one will be a good fit for my household). You asked so many questions that I myself have been wondering. It was nice to see them all listed together, :)

Back