New mutation in my herd

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats on the new additions to your herd! They look very nice.

Not too long ago we were talking badly about those working with them...
Ronda has been confused by this sudden turnaround too. She got flack for the 8 years she worked with them.
I myself find them appealing! I seen some of Ronda's animals at a show, and the color almost glowed. It's hard to describe in person, but they are appealing to the eye.
The Denmark chins and Ronda's lines are nowhere near the same color, hue or shine. I'd love to see them side by side, but if shown together I doubt would be comparable as the color is so different. The Denmark ones are kind of a dull mix of sapphire and violet but have a great volume of fur and density and overall eye appeal. I really liked the body type on them. Ronda's had amazing color and that shine/glow but severely lacked everything else.

Will be interesting to see what the future holds for this color!

I myself find them appealing! I seen some of Ronda's animals at a show, and the color almost glowed. It's hard to describe in person, but they are appealing to the eye.

I agree, Rhonda's have a very appealing color, shiny.
If we can get the Denmarks quality and Rhonda's color. They will be amazing.

Right now they are in need of enhancement of color.

Jags, just talking here!

I agree they do need improvement, but I did not and would not have expected them to be perfect considering they are a double recessive. Although, since the gentleman’s first goal was to improve on health and fertility above all. (That it itself is worth a pot of gold to me.) I also find it amazing that he has managed to give us reserve, champion of class and section champs with two recessives that are considered weak mutations in North America.

Financially, how do I see it? Hum, it all depends on how I look at things. I see it as I saved what 10-15 years maybe more on feed, hay, shavings, maintenance, time, and that is without knowing if I ever would get a Blue Diamond born here. And, that is not knowing how many animals at a time I would have to have in my herd hoping for the little one to be born. So, I see that I have saved lots of money and time. I actually have made my money since 10 years of my time at 2 hours per day, 5 dollars a day (I am cheap labour) for 10 years is 18250$. I know some will think you can’t look at things that way. But I do, because while I do that I am not outside playing and doing other things. So, if I am not willing to put the time into doing Bleu Diamonds from scratch because of what it requires, I have to expect to pay for one. This man has done all the work, he does not owe me anything and cannot expect to pay a low price.

Price? Will it go down? Don't know but, I asked about a female standard at nationals that won reserve phase champ and was asked 400$ for it. (this contradicts the saying: more people who work with them the less they will cost in the future) So if a standard RPC is worth 400$, what is the RPC Bleu Diamond worth.

I also remember discussing with a large breeder about prices. He has mentioned that he dislikes it very much when people want their chinchillas for a much lower price that they are selling for. The response he has given me to this is, (not in those words but) why do they expect me to sell you my animals at that price when I pay mine the full price. !! So I have always kept that in mind. Actually Jags, you where at the table with we when this conversation occurred.

Taking into consideration the above, I don’t see the price doing down in a near future if it does. And if it does, I don’t for see it going down drastically. But I am only speaking for myself,

For future reference, what would be the price for a Violet Sapphire Carrier or a Sapphire Violet Carrier that would compliment the Denmark Bleu Diamonds without compromissing anything.

This all being said, I do not breed for money. I breed because I enjoy the company of these fur balls and the people involved with them.

Last edited:
I disagree that they need enhancement in color. I bought a female Blue Diamond that just shipped in this last weekend along with a male from the Denmark line and she's beautiful, and I've seen the others mentioned above. I also have two other pairs of carriers, out of Mark's big BD male. Niels has done a beautiful job of breeding tight fur, density, fertility and quality. They need size and I've got some big 800+ gram violets that will go into the mix to improve that.

The color of BD's is really personal preference. There are lighter and darker shades of the BD color just like all the other colors of chinchilla. Ronda's were primarily a lighter color phase because she used lighter standard carriers, violets, and sapphires. The reason hers weren't well received when brought to a show was because though they had a nice appealing blue color, they were very poor fur quality lacking density, fur strength, and straight shaft fur from what I've been told by those that saw them. The BD's from Denmark have been developed with darker colored standards, violets, and sapphires. I received 24 BD's in different shades of color, only a few were lighter shade, most were darker. I personally prefer the lighter shades of BD color and I mated the lightest bluest color BD male and females I received. The 2 BD's I showed at both Nat'l shows were the densest, strongest furred BD's that I have but not the bluest color ones I have. I felt the strong fur quality was what I really wanted to show off and promote to everyone first and foremost. Niels developed his BD's striving for 3 main points (strong health, fur quality, and good fertility). He didn't offer his BD's for sale until he felt these points had been achieved. Niels and I both agree that the bigger size and brighter color will be achieved in the near future by those of us working with his BD lines here in the US and Canada. They were developed with a solid foundation of qualities by Niels, what qualities we strive for next with the BD's will be up to each individual breeder.

I personally find them beautiful, although I have an inexperienced eye. I would love to see more in the future. Best of luck to you!

would love to be able to breed in the future for blue diamonds, and would have loved to purchase a nice pair, but at the moment I could not afford the price and the shipping to canada, so will wait until I am able to to afford them, honestly not everybody can afford $1,500 for a blue diamond chin, but I know it would be worth to save for them :)
they are a beautiful color and probably for me it would be more wise to prepare myself for maybe a couple of years, not only financially, but to continue to build a good herd that could help improve this color,

I would love to breed them, too. But I know I have a lot of learning to do before I could do them justice. I wouldn't want to mess up somebody's hard work.

I was very lucky that I had the chance to ride back home with these beautiful chins after nationals.
Christiane, I wish you lots of luck on working with the diamonds.:thumbsup:

honestly not everybody can afford $1,500 for a blue diamond chin, but I know it would be worth to save for them :)

Kathiva, I do agree with you that it is not a small amount to pay for an animal. But I am sure you will agree with me with my saying; being able to afford something is a question of priority.
It is all about what you want in life. I don't give importance to fashion, make-up, new sports cars, new furniture etc...so they are not my priority and would not spend big money there.
You see. :)

Terbear24, Thank you soo much :)

Good Luck with your Blue Diamonds Chris!! I can't wait to see the future of this color from all involved with the development of it! I loved the color of the chins I saw at Nationals. I wanted to get into this mutation many years back, alas it wasn't in the cards for me and I'll just stick to my violets for now and just enjoy getting to see all the pretty Blue Diamonds at the shows!

Cheryl

That's definitely the truth, Saphire. Spending that type of money on a chin is something that some may see as being excessive and others may think is just a necessity because they want to experience the new mutation. In the past people have been thrilled to be able to obtain chins of a new mutation no matter how high the cost!

I hope that it goes well for you and that we get to see pictures as your babies are born!

Last edited:
It is all about what you want in life. I don't give importance to fashion, make-up, new sports cars, new furniture etc...so they are not my priority and would not spend big money there.

LOVE this statement, you just described me! So when show time comes next week, no pictures please! I'll probably be in a frumpy shirt and jeans! lol
Comfort over fashion, and besides, like you would rather spend it back into critters!:thumbsup:

Cheryl, you have been doing an amazing job with your ebs and violets. Nationals definitely sent the message out with all the wins you won there. And thank you, I certainly do hope to bring them to my expectations and hope the judges like it. LOL

Thank you bchins, Susan. and Christine. :)

Congrats on you latest endeavor Christiane!

So when show time comes next week, no pictures please!

Hmmm...you're traveling with me...you bet there'll be pictures, lol! But I'll make sure to put a few cute chinchillas in front of you...no one will notice the 'frumpy* shirt and jeans'...lol. (*I call that comfortable and there is nothing wrong with that.)

I'm excited to see Sue's Blue Diamond at the show. I saw Ronda's group a couple times and loved the color. Not something I'd want to work with...I prefer the dominant mutations, but I love looking at the recessives at shows and in other peoples' herds.

Congrats on you latest endeavor Christiane!

Hmmm...you're traveling with me...you bet there'll be pictures, lol! But I'll make sure to put a few cute chinchillas in front of you...no one will notice the 'frumpy* shirt and jeans'...lol. (*I call that comfortable and there is nothing wrong with that.)

I'm excited to see Sue's Blue Diamond at the show. I saw Ronda's group a couple times and loved the color. Not something I'd want to work with...I prefer the dominant mutations, but I love looking at the recessives at shows and in other peoples' herds.

I'm holding you to your word Alison! Look forward to the trip also. I was wondering if Sue was going to bring a Blue Diamond!

Back