New here, ??s about going from 2 chins to 1

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rosa160

I <3 my Teddy bear!
Hi, I lost a chin recently and I am afraid that the chin I have left is going to get lonely. Anyone have any pointers who have a single chin? I bought a stuffed chin buddy to keep him company, but I don't know what else I can do for him. Thanks

You could adopt a new chin. Make sure it is of the same gender and is more laid back and calm. Put him in quarantine for a while and VERY slowly introduce them. I suggest starting out by putting their cages about 1-2 feet away and every week inch them closer.:)

Welcome to the forum. My suggestion is for you to spend a little more time with him. Let him out for some extra supervised playtime. A lot of members here have single chins and they do just fine. I myself had to separate 2 pairs of chins due to some fighting and they are all single chins (no roommates) and they do just fine.

Hi and welcome. :)

Adopting another chin isn't always the best answer. Just because her chin got along with his roomie, doesn't mean he will with a new chin. Some chins just don't want anybody else to share a cage. I would do as Sandi suggested and I bet he'll be fine.

Hi and welcome!

I have a single chin who was separated from a group and she has always been just fine. A little extra tlc would be great and will help your chin cope with the loss. My chin has a cuddle buddy and a lot of attention from me.

Thanks for the replies! I have been spending some extra time with him, I think he is taking things better than me. I can tell you right now I don't think I will be getting another chin. My chin developed a bladder stone and the vet ruptured his urethra during the surgery, I have been crying since Friday. It has been a terrible experience :(

Adopting another chin isn't always the best answer. Just because her chin got along with his roomie, doesn't mean he will with a new chin. Some chins just don't want anybody else to share a cage. I would do as Sandi suggested and I bet he'll be fine.

I have the perfect example of this. My chin Smudge lost his cage mate, Neeko. I thought getting him another friend may help as he seemed depressed without Neeko. His new friend, Mako, and him lived together for about a year with no issues. However one day, out of no where, I woke up to find Mako at the bottom of his cage, bleeding and torn. For some reason that I will never know, Smudge turned on Mako, who wasn't able to recover from his wounds. Now Smudge is a lone chin and wants to stay that way. He gets aggressive at even the sight of other chins.

So, while it may be possible to pair your chin up with a new buddy, it isn't always the answer as others have stated. The best thing you can do for now is to spend time with him and not rush into anything.

Back