New chinchilla!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is my new chin!
Please feel free to post pictures of your chins below.

Attachments

• 3E23G63N65I35Ka5M4d2s773de1e053e719a3-1.jpg
    3E23G63N65I35Ka5M4d2s773de1e053e719a3-1.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 50
Adorable chin but please please PLEASE get rid of that ball and never use it again. Chinchillas have been known to die in those balls from overheating and have broken toes from the gaps in the plastic, not to mention that running in your own urine and feces is something I wouldn't inflict on anyone. I know they are advertised as being chin safe, but they are not.

umm yeah, ditch the death ball... those things are awful.

Your chin has a lovely sweet face... what's his/her name?

You have an adorable, sweet chinnie! Unfortunately, I'm in agreement with everyone else. No ball. I was given a ball from my chin's previous owner, and before I knew how dangerous they were, I would keep my chin in it for small play periods and she would poop inside and if she urinated, too, she would end up with poop stuck in her fur everywhere. What a mess! Also, they can easily overheat in these balls. Too bad the pet stores encourage them!

Petco/Petsmart most likely told you it was safe but they just wanted to sell you something, they are not safe.

http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16152

yep. agreed.

i work for petsmart and would LOVE to quit because i don't believe in anything the company stands for. fortunately i don't work with the public much cause im there when the store is closed cause i do stocking. it's appalling really how petsmart will overlook the health and well being of an animal for a quick buck and a good sale...i do not recommend more than half the products on the shelf that claim to be chinchilla safe....don't even get me started on wood chew toys!!

Umm I bought a wood chew toy from petsmart, in the shape of a drum and says its 100% chinchilla safe, but doesn't say what the wood is, should I get rid of that?

For some reason I thought petsmart was one of those caring stores because my friend from high school worked there and said that they took care of their animals well. I guess the recommendations of what you should buy for the chinchilla, was out of ignorance. There was a young girl in the Warwick petsmart and told me its fine to pair up a male and female because its extremely rare for them to breed and can take years to get kits. And she told me that the mother would take care of everything... And that's why they're so expensive. Hmm well all that went against my instincts, I mean even if there's a small possibility, considering the care of an adult chin I don't think I could take the possibility of taking care of more than two. Anyway I think a lot of things they say is out of ignorance. Though there are is a small pet dept over the phone and they sound like they know what they're talking about.

Anyway cute chin...yea they poop a lot inside of that.

Back