New chinchilla owner, I have two questions...and pics

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kylepossible

Some back-story...

We recently bought a chinchilla Sunday and that whole day he pretty much hid in a corner, Monday and Tuesday he started moving around sniffing us but still skiddish.

Last night he kept making these sounds I'd describe as chirps not really high pitched though. He only started doing this after we all went to bed. Is this common? Also to make the matters worse we removed his running wheel that night because it's so incredibly noisy. (We are looking to find a quieter one, the chinchilla we have is pretty big and it looks like chinchillas hop rather then run so this "cheap" $48 pet-smart one is shaking every time he uses it) Can anyone recommend one?

Thanks.

S4xgHUh.jpg

XgMlwC2.jpg

Yes it's normal for them to hide and not move much at first, new place, cage, smells, and humans. It can take anywhere from days to years for a bond to cement. Also it's normal for him to call out in the night, he could have heard something, could be seeing if there are other chins around, could be trying to train you to pay attention to him at his beck and call, lol.

I'm assuming that the pics are of your cage? If so there are several alarming issues, Please don't take offense I'm only trying to help. The cage looks way too small (a chin needs a cage at least 2'x2'x2', but ideally much larger), it has lots of plastic in it, plastic is dangerous to chinchillas because they chew it and if swallowed will get stuck in his gut because plastic is not digestible leading to an expensive emergency vet trip. The wheel is way too small as well even if it wasn't plastic, so it's good you removed it, the smallest wheel diameter is 14" if you have a small chin, 15" if your chin is larger. Also plastic wheels are two fold dangerous, even if he doesn't chew it it's plastic on plastic rubbing causing plastic dust that he is then inhaling. Safe wheels for chins, include the metal flying saucer, the chin spin, and the silver surfer. The hammock is also not safe either, the only safe fabric material for chins is fleece since it doesn't unravel like other fabrics causing strings that can be swallowed or cause a strangulation issue. The igloo is not safe either, once again plastic, but also is an over heating and humidity hazard, chins need to be kept in a low temp low humidity environment, a wooden hut is recommended. I can't really tell if the bottle is plastic or not, but if it is you'll want to either block access to the bottle (other then the spout) or get a glass one, so he can't chew it, they are known to chew holes in bottles and flood their cage.
I am sorry, I'm sure you got the chin and stuff for him at a pet store and they told you to buy all this crap, but the bottom line is it's not safe. This is a common problem (pet stores are just out to make money, if things don't last you'll spend more money replacing them) so unfortunately you are far from alone in these new owner mistakes. I suggest you do research and read lots of threads here, there is truly a wealth of information on the forum here from people that have had chins for, in some cases, decades.

Yes it's normal for them to hide and not move much at first, new place, cage, smells, and humans. It can take anywhere from days to years for a bond to cement. Also it's normal for him to call out in the night, he could have heard something, could be seeing if there are other chins around, could be trying to train you to pay attention to him at his beck and call, lol.

I'm assuming that the pics are of your cage? If so there are several alarming issues, Please don't take offense I'm only trying to help. The cage looks way too small (a chin needs a cage at least 2'x2'x2', but ideally much larger), it has lots of plastic in it, plastic is dangerous to chinchillas because they chew it and if swallowed will get stuck in his gut because plastic is not digestible leading to an expensive emergency vet trip. The wheel is way too small as well even if it wasn't plastic, so it's good you removed it, the smallest wheel diameter is 14" if you have a small chin, 15" if your chin is larger. Also plastic wheels are two fold dangerous, even if he doesn't chew it it's plastic on plastic rubbing causing plastic dust that he is then inhaling. Safe wheels for chins, include the metal flying saucer, the chin spin, and the silver surfer. The hammock is also not safe either, the only safe fabric material for chins is fleece since it doesn't unravel like other fabrics causing strings that can be swallowed or cause a strangulation issue. The igloo is not safe either, once again plastic, but also is an over heating and humidity hazard, chins need to be kept in a low temp low humidity environment, a wooden hut is recommended. I can't really tell if the bottle is plastic or not, but if it is you'll want to either block access to the bottle (other then the spout) or get a glass one, so he can't chew it, they are known to chew holes in bottles and flood their cage.
I am sorry, I'm sure you got the chin and stuff for him at a pet store and they told you to buy all this crap, but the bottom line is it's not safe. This is a common problem (pet stores are just out to make money, if things don't last you'll spend more money replacing them) so unfortunately you are far from alone in these new owner mistakes. I suggest you do research and read lots of threads here, there is truly a wealth of information on the forum here from people that have had chins for, in some cases, decades.

No offense taken, Yes all this stuff aside from the wheel and hammock came with the cage at the pet store, we bought the hut because that's what he was using at the pet store so assumed he would like it. They did not have a bigger cage Height wise at the store.

So I need to buy, a new cage, a new wheel, a wooden hut, and fleece hammocks :hmm: ...Ill work on it.

The pet smart/pet co people truly seemed to care and didn't want sales but I had a feeling the information they were giving was "off" but didn't know enough myself to counter.

Thanks for the replies, yes most of our purchases we listened to the petco/petsmart employee, they surprisingly didn't seem to care about the sale but alas they are not chinchilla "experts"

Does this cage look okay?

Cage: http://www.amazon.com/Midwest-Critter-Nation-Animal-Habitat/dp/B001NJ0DAY

Any sight in particular to buy wood huts?

petsmart and petco advertise a lot of items as safe for chins that are overwhelmingly not safe. Its sad, but something they don't want to change.

So I need to buy, a new cage, a new wheel, a wooden hut, and fleece hammocks ...Ill work on it.

It can seem overwhelming at first, and a bit of an expense. It can take time to adjust into it.
On the plus side, the popular cages like the Ferret Nation, or wheels like the one emily linked to, while expensive, they will last a very long time. Longer then your chins most likely. Solid metal type construction makes them quite durable.
Personally, i have two FN and two of those wheels, and they are as sturdy today as they ever where. It just matters how much you want to get into it.

The one thing you rly will want to get tho are some chin safe items for your chin to chew on. There teeth are always growing, they need to wear them down. They do this mostly with the hay and chew items. Things like chin safe wood; examples twigs (treat) or ledges made of safe chewable wood. Theirs a lot of different things you can look into. But if they don't wear there teeth down it cause a lot of problems and some expensive vet visits.

No offense taken, Yes all this stuff aside from the wheel and hammock came with the cage at the pet store, we bought the hut because that's what he was using at the pet store so assumed he would like it. They did not have a bigger cage Height wise at the store.
The pet smart/pet co people truly seemed to care and didn't want sales but I had a feeling the information they were giving was "off" but didn't know enough myself to counter.

Sadly this is one of the better setups i have seen. i take in chins that are extremely neglected around here. I have had chins from all sorts of back grounds. one came to me covered in mold because she never had dust baths. I have had one that was kept in a small metal dog kennel and i mean SMALL. I have even had some that had been fed hamster food and had bloat when i got them, 3 of the four died from it. I now have one with a busted foot from their previous home, when he was small he got his foot caught in a ramp in his cage and the owner did nothing to care for it so it healed improperly. I took him to the vet and they said there is nothing we can do now, amputation isn't worth the risk.
It really could be worse. I'm not trying to say this setup is ok i'm just saying at least they are willing to work on it.
Some breeders actually say that type of cages ok, I even had a lady looking to adopt a chin from me that seemed perfectly ok with using an aquarium, needless to say she got EXTREMELY agitated when i said that was NOT an OK cage. Plus stores sell those cages FOR chins and even worse some keep them in aquariums so people think that type of caging is ok. Just like the treats at pet stores MANY are very bad for chins and only a few are ok. Then most the chinchilla food they sell is bad too, the only food chins should get is chinchilla food PELLETS not mix. the mix sometimes has fruits and other bad things. The chins will also pick out their favorites and not get the nutrition they need.
One of the reasons people think stuff like this is ok is that there are backyard breeders and pet stores that don't care for the well being of the animal, they only care about profit and they tell people stuff is ok when it's really not or you get even worse and they don't bother to make sure you know what you are doing and send the animal with. Then rescues end up with them or worse... they die.

Congrats on the new chin! When I got my first chin, I was in way over my head - I simply listened to the pet store employee advice like yourself, and little Gizmo had plenty of plastic, ramps & unsafe items until I found this site. This forum has a wealth of information, and you'll be amazed how much happier your little guy or gal will be once you've provided the proper setup! One thing I haven't seen mentioned here however is the feed - what kind of pellet/hay do you have your chin on? Often times the pet stores (mine included) suggest a chinchilla food brand that has treats in it, and it's truly terrible for their health; the typical favorites around here seem to be Oxbow, Mazuri, and Tradition, some of which can be found in pet stores (I use Oxbow, and our PetSmart typically carries it) and abundant fresh timothy hay. Just thought it was worth a mention.

Unfortunately yes a lot of times the employees do care about the animals, and that's the reason they picked that job, so they could work with animals, but in places like petsmart and petco the employees have little to no say as to the care. The corporate offices decide what does or doesn't go in the display cages, as well as what they want the employees at the store to push to sell with the animals, and unfortunately are drawing from outdated info on some animals including chinchillas.

Thanks for all the replies.

We decided to just redo his whole cage in one night...tiring.

KEuXfSB.jpg

Hope this is better, I know the plastic wheel is probably a no, but were hoping he just uses it for exercise and chews on the other things in his cage meant for chewing. If not I will have to remove when I can and replace with the metal saucer.

@ChinChild we feed him OxBow pellets and I think AllLivingThings timothy hay

Good work! I would remove the ramps as chins are known to get their feet and legs caught in them. They are great jumpers and won't need them anyway. As for the wheel, I highly doubt he will be able to use it efficiently as they really get going when they run and those plastic saucers aren't stable enough to withstand the way they run.
Keep an eye on the straps of the hammock, you don't want him chewing those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good work! I would remove the ramps as chins are known to get their feet and legs caught in them. They are great jumpers and won't need them anyway. As for the wheel, I highly doubt he will be able to use it efficiently as they really get going when they run and those plastic saucers aren't stable enough to withstand the way they run.
Keep an eye on the straps of the hammock, you don't want him chewing those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, the ramps come with fleece type covers would that be better or just remove them? He does seem to use them a lot...

Yes I noticed the plastic saucer was already dis-positioned.. :wacko:

I will keep an eye out.

Congrats on your little chin!! What's his/her name?? And I love seeing new owners like you that are willing to spend the time and money to make sure their chin will be happy and healthy :) the cage looks great, and I agree with Stackie about putting fleece on the ramps to avoid it getting its feet stuck or bumble foot. :thumbsup:

Wonderful upgrade! So much better. Of course I agree what the others have said about the ramps and the wheel.

It's really great that you are willing to take advice and provide your chin with the best living situation :) you're going to have one happy chinny!

Congrats on your little chin!! What's his/her name?? And I love seeing new owners like you that are willing to spend the time and money to make sure their chin will be happy and healthy :) the cage looks great, and I agree with Stackie about putting fleece on the ramps to avoid it getting its feet stuck or bumble foot. :thumbsup:

Thanks, His name is Frederick.

I'm going to put the fleece over the ramps when I get home.

thats a great first step! Critter Nation cages are good cages to. Almsot the same as Ferret Nation. The bars are horizontal instead of vertical, and are closer together. Which can actually come in handy if you ever find yourself with a kit one day. Kits can escape FN unbelievably easy because the 1 inch bar spacing. CN bars are less.

Its great to see someone that actually cares about their pets. To often i see ppl unwilling to change or listen to advise. So good job on caring for the chin so far!

The one thing i would change first tho is the ramps. While you can use them if they are covered in fleece, chins are jumpers, not climbers. Its more natural for them to hop from ledge to ledge to get up/down. And (safe) wooden ledges would be great in your case. Not only does it take care of that ramp problem, but it will provide something for him to chew on. The only thing in there for him to chew other then his food, is the hut. So having ledges will help him out greatly.

And there easy to make yourself if you want.

OldLedge_01_zps12f86714.jpg

Just get a slab of safe wood, cut it to the size you want. Add two hanger bolts, 4 washers (2 or each bolt) and two wing nuts, and you got a ledge!
Or if you prefer, there are a few ppl one here that sells ledges. Or if you only want the hardware, i have a ton extra i could sell just that. Many many options'

Fyi: I always use two hanger bolts like in that picture. Having only one in the center can be problematic. The side can start to slide to one side or another when a chin hops onto it. I find it an unnecessary risk. Having two bolts keeps it very solid.

Back