• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Chins-N-Hedgies and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

New Chinchilla Dust

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TaylorMadeChinchillas

Through our own research and trials, we here at TaylorMadeChinchilla have made what we believe is the closest dust to the chinchilla's natural environment. We are calling it Stardust! We have been using it in our own home and our chinchillas won't go back. It is NOT simply the standard blue cloud dust, I believe it's BETTER!

**NEW & IMPROVED**

Our bath consists of 2 different materials specifically designed to replicate the natural dust the chinchillas would have used in nature. The combination is perfectly designed to absorb the absolute most oil from your chinchillas WITHOUT altering the color or texture of their fur.

-Fullers Earth. This is the fine powder that really penetrates the fur all the way to the skin and makes their fur look soft and amazing! It is the consistency of baking flour and super soft. Fullers Earth has been used in the cosmetic field for years because of the wonderful ability to absorb oil without harming even the most delicate skin.

-Diatomaceous Clay. This is the larger pieces that are visible to the eye. (Similar to the size of table salt.) The larger grain size acts as a comb, helping to remove any loose fur. (NO MORE COMBING!) This is also a super absorbent material that will leave your chinchilla's fur super soft.

Both of these materials are FDA certified for HUMAN use, so you can rest assure that your babies will be 100% SAFE!

Shipping: 1 Pound will be shipped in a priority small flat rate box for $10 TOTAL. On orders larger than one pound, shipping will be worked out on an individual basis.

We offer a bulk discount if you are getting more than 10 pounds. Just message me for details.

Sepiolite (Fullers Earth) has been used for years by show breeders in Europe. Most believe it is softer and penetrates the fur better than pumice. Try it yourself and let me know, I value honest feedback.

**CHINS & HEDGIES ONLY SPECIAL**
All C&H users who purchase $20 or more during the month of July will receive 1 FREE POUND to try. PM me to place an order.

Click HERE for pictures and more information

IMO. Not only would this not be healthy for chins, but it would discolor them under show lights.

Is it amorphous diatomaceous earth or crystalline diatomaceous earth? FDA approved for human consumption or inhalation, makes a difference.

Last edited:
@ticklechin Once again thank you for the questions. I expected quite a bit of questions about this and would love to answer them all.

Firstly both of the product I use (sepiolite and diatomaceous clay) are FDA certified for human consumption and the De is amorphous. As far as I know only the amorphous version of De has been certified. Here is a quote from the FDA on the difference in regards to inhalation.

“After inhalation of*amorphous*diatomaceous earth, it is rapidly eliminated from lung tissue. However,*crystalline*diatomaceous earth is much smaller, and it may accumulate in lung tissue and lymph nodes. Very low levels of*crystalline*diatomaceous earth may be found in pesticide products.”

This is exactly why I only use the FDA certified stuff. The health of the chinchillas is my number 1 priority.

All DE has crystalline in it, what percentage is the DE you use? Reason I ask is based on the description of your DE, its more than 1%? DE less than 1% is the consistency of corn starch in my experience.

@ticklechin I am loving your questions. Clearly you are very well educated like myself and know the difference between a quality product and something of lesser worth. All of the materials I use are FDA certified to be food grade so that means they are not calcined (treated with very high heat) so the crystalline percentage of my DE is less than 0.5%. The particle size of my DE is very close to table salt while the particle size of the sepiolite is use is closer to baking flour or corn starch. It is this mixture of particle sizes that makes it incredibly effective. Thanks again.

Back