New Chin owner here

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She's getting used to our nightly play time, where she jumps off her uppermost shelf onto my shoulder and tries to get down to the ground. During that time, she will climb all over me and my hands, but will barely let me pick her up. Other than that, she's about 50/50 if she wants anything to do with me.

And she's pretty friendly so far, too! She is still getting used to being held. The breeder I got her from didn't handle her that much, but she hasn't bitten me or anything. She's just unsure of being picked up. She has gotten comfortable enough with me to come out of her house when I put my hand in the cage, and also nibbles on my fingers now (which I take as a compliment personally).

She is cute as a button! It seems like a lot of chins don't like being picked up--perhaps because in the wild they're prey animals and don't want to be "surprised"?--just a guess.

The nibbles on your fingers are definitely a compliment. I had a boy who did that all the time. His sister, on the other hand, is too good for that, ;)

Congrats on your little one, I know you'll enjoy learning all their different behaviors, chew toys they like, etc.

Back