new chin owner advice

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fredb

Ok so we just received 3 adorable chins from our daughter she had a friend who passed away and my wife has always wanted chins so we get them from her husband a few days ago and all he gabe us was the 3 chins and guinea pig food no dust bath or anything else they all seem to be in good health and after we got chin food chew sticks and hay and a dust bath they seem to be much happier my only concern is one of them has some mats in his fur on his back leg so my question is what is the best wat to get rid of the mats

You can pull out the mats gently and just keep dusting. I would switch the guinea pig feed as well to something else like Oxbow or Mazuri, or a rabbit pellet.

We already got them chin food amd some apple wood sticks and some hay pellets too hold us till payday so we can get them some fresh hay
Should we wait till they get a little more acquainted with us before we attempt to remove mats I dont want him hating us lol and also any suggestions on grooming tools

The rabbit pellet isn't just any rabbit pellets. Recommended are Purina SHOW rabbit chow or Nutrena or Purina Mana Pro. The best thing to do is look at the FAQ for new chin owners

Hi I just got a 10 week old chinchilla for Christmas I have all the stuff he needs I was just wondering how many times a week I should take him out and let him adventure? And if I should hold him a lot or not that much he is healthy and really happy he's starting to trust me too. And how many times should I let him have raisins a week? Please tell me. :)

Hi I just got a 10 week old chinchilla for Christmas I have all the stuff he needs I was just wondering how many times a week I should take him out and let him adventure? And if I should hold him a lot or not that much he is healthy and really happy he's starting to trust me too. And how many times should I let him have raisins a week? Please tell me. :)

Chins that young should not have treats, from what I've read the general consensus is around 6 months old before offering treats like raisins. Your little fur ball has a lot of growing to do, the best thing for him/her right now is a nutritious diet (which means no junk food!). I've also read that young chins shouldn't be out very much; we let our 12 week-old Mojo out for 10 minutes MAX every once in a while when we first got him, and he seems to be developing fine. Maybe other (more experienced) owners have better input to offer though, our second chin Gizmo was already 7 months old when we got him, so I have limited experience with young chins. Hope this helped!

Chins that young should not have treats, from what I've read the general consensus is around 6 months old before offering treats like raisins.

It is generally consensus to wait until the chin is 6 months old before giving healthy treats (rosehips, cheerios, shredded wheat). Raisins should not be given at any age as they are to high in sugar.

Back