New Chin, is this normal?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lindsey13

I just got my little boy on Saturday. This is my first chin so i'm not sure what all is normal and what is not. I have noticed it doesn't look like he has drank anything since I got him, is this normal or should I be worried? He has ate a little bit of pellets but no hay. I know it takes them a while to get used to things but I am just concerned he has not even drank anything. Also the lady that I got him from said I should let him have a dust bath yesterday but he seems so nervous I didn't even try it, should I wait until he seems a little more comfortable or what should I do?

They don't drink a ton, but he does need to be drinking. Have you marked the water bottle? If it's glass, you can use a sharpie and mark where the water line is to monitor his intake. (It'll wash off.) Are you using the same kind of water bottle that the breeder used? Some can take a bit to get used to a different bottle.

They LOVE their dust bathes. I would go ahead and give it to him, and the activity may spark more thirst.

When I first got Mochi, she didn't eat or drink a whole lot either. She's upped her food intake a bit, but she's upped her water intake a lot more. I'm guessing initially she was only drinking 1/2 - 1 oz. a day. I think she's closer to 2 now (my water bottle doesn't have any measurement markings on it).

I read a trick somewhere for pets that don't seem to know how to use a water bottle. If you cut a raisin in half, then rub the sticky part on the nozzle of the water bottle, the animal will learn to drink when trying to lick off the raisin juice. I know raisins aren't good for chins, but if your chin is over 6 months old, this might be worth a shot since it's just a tiny amount of juice.

Thanks for the suggestions! He finally drank last night and ate all of his hay and took a dust bath in his cage. Poor little thing acts like he is scared to death of me and barks every time I get near his cage.

Thanks for the suggestions! He finally drank last night and ate all of his hay and took a dust bath in his cage. Poor little thing acts like he is scared to death of me and barks every time I get near his cage.

The first chin i took in was like that to. Scared to death, and barked like mad if i steped anywhere near his cage. Now, out of the 5 i have, he is the most friendly of them all!

Give him time. Some chins take their dear sweet time warming up to you and others come around very fast. Just spend time with him. You can sit next to his cage and talk to him, read a book out loud, try putting your hand in his cage and let him come to you.

Back