new animals and introductions

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolfy2449

This past weekend we got 2 new animals: a young rabbit (Dusty) and a pomeranian (Wolf). How long should I wait before introducing them to my chin, Elsa? Elsa loves trying to play with my dog Maya, but Maya's older and has bad joints so she isn't very playful. Dusty also tries playing with Maya, so I feel that they will do well together once introduced. I just don't want to try too soon and have Elsa get sick.

Most people wouldn't recommend chins playing with other species. One wrong move and it could do a lot of damage to the chin, they are pretty fragile. :( Also rabbits can carry a certain disease (without showing signs of it) and pass it along to the chin. I don't think it's worth the risk, but congratulations on your new animals!

thank you I didn't know about the potential disease. Since they're different species I wasn't even sure if they could spread most disease to each other

thank you I didn't know about the potential disease. Since they're different species I wasn't even sure if they could spread most disease to each other

No problem :)) It's called pasteurella (couldn't remember at the time), and I found a thread with a little more info about it here!

Dogs (and cats), also can carry pasteurella (among other things, they commonly eat things off the ground outside) in their saliva, so it's really not safe to allow interaction with dogs either even if the dog doesn't move. If the dog drools or licks the chin, or the chin nibbles on fur that has drool on it it can get sick. Dogs also go outside and roll in things, or just walk on grass and can pick up things that are toxic to chins in their fur, some small bit of plant the chin could eat before you even notice. Also chins are not sturdy animals, a playful pounce or paw hit, or with a rabbit, a kick, can seriously hurt or kill the chin. Bottom line is chins playing with other animals is really an accident waiting to happen, regardless of how friendly.

It's sad that they'll never get to meet, but that does seem to be what's best for Elsa. It looks like she'll have to wait until I get another chin before she can actually play with anyone.

It's okay! Some chins don't even like other chins! As long as she can play with you, and have lots of interactive toys/chews/a wheel in a large cage, she should be happy. :))

Back