Need Opinions - 2 more Chins?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fanov8

Ok, so I need opinions. I'm all for it but need to see if I can get hubby on board. I've come across 2 chins (an ex dark eb and a standard) along with the cage (FN 142) and everything in the cage for $300. I've recieved pics of the chins and they are beautiful and well taken care of. They still have the plastic shelves in the cages and not ledges but other than that most everything else looks ok. I know that they will need to be quarentined from my current gals, they would be downstairs and the girls are up. So my question is, would you go for it and get them? If so, I just need to find a way to talk my husband into some more fuzz butts. Ideas?

Hmm, this sounds familiar to a person that e-mailed me a few days ago wanting me to buy their chins off of them...just to make sure, are you sure they're both girls? The person that's been e-mailing me has everything the same (2 chins, one standard one eb, and a FN cage..they're wanting $300, too) except one is a female and is pregnant.

If it's not them...then man, what a coincidence!

If you have the time and the money, go for it :)) As for convincing hubby..well..I've always just brought chins home without asking questions. Boyfriend is miffed for awhile, but eventually gets over it.... :D Try telling him they are in need of a good home..milk it a bit. ;)

I think that sounds like an okay price for a FN, two chinchillas and no doubt all the contents of the cage and the chins' belongings. If you're ready to take on two more fuzz butts then I say go for it.

The only thing that I would be iffy about is keeping males and females together in the same room but you're saying they'd be in different rooms, even different floors in the house so I don't think that would even be an issue.

Edit: Hmm, interesting that you're both from Indiana and both have received the same email. Definitely check out their sexes.

Ha ha ha Stac! I bet it is the same person then! Did you get to see pics of them? They said male and female but told me that they didn't know if they had bred. Obviously with chins the chances are that she is preggo. They even went as far as to say that if she did have babies they would be more than willing to take the babies back. Like I would ever let that happen if they did! Ha! I'm thinking that with the cage I would atleast be able to seperate them as soon as I got them and if she did have kits then the males could stay with dad and females with mom. I'm trying to talk hubby into it, we will see what happens. I'm supposed to have a yard sale this weekend and told him I would use yard sale money to get them :laughitup:

Carol Anne - not only are we in Indiana, but we are only about 45 minutes from each other! It's bound to be the same people. But on their behalf they are beautiful chins that seem to be in good shape and well taken care of.

I would hesitate just for the fact that you are going to be dealing with poorly bred kits, and that could mean a lot of heartache and stress. If you are prepared to take that on, then go for it. :) Do some research on handfeeding kits and get some supplies ready before the birth, if she is pregnant; you'll need to be prepared.

i've always told my hubby that if we don't take them in, imagine what kind of crappy household they could end up in & show him photos of the little ones... and poof i get my fuzz butts!

Well, after lots of thinking, I don't think that we are going to get them. I'm just worried that if she does have kits and they end up being males that they will have to be placed with dad at 8 weeks. Then later down the road they may fight and I will not have an extra cage for them. Granted I could always just get one to hold us over, like a small cage or something. But I just don't think that I want to have to deal with that. Not to mention complications with the mother during delivery. I got really lucky with Pepper since she didn't have any problems. I've seen you guys post too many horror stories on here and I don't think I want to deal with that. Thanks for all the input!

Well, I don't know about the preggers chin or anything, but I do know this...

It's easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission!

I don't blame you at all, I don't ever want to be in the position of trying to keep a newborn kit alive... if I couldn't save one, I'd just fall apart. I've got much too soft a heart to have anything to do with breeding...

Not to worry, the right chinnie(s) will come along for you when the time is right!

I don't think I could deal with a pregnant chin either, not that I wouldn't want to but I just don't have the experience if something went wrong. You're doing the right thing by waiting until just the right chin(s) come along.

Back