Need info on clostridium

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whimsy

A pet owner contacted me when their chin started showing signs of loose stool. When she said there was mucus involved, I told her she needed vet care, not home remedies. Long story short, the chin died of intussusception . They had a necropsy done where the vet determined it was caused by a clostridium infection. So they had the cagemate checked for the same bacteria. He tested clean, but they found him dead the very next day without showing any symptoms as the first one had.

My questions are: has anyone had first hand experience with this particular bacteria? How is it acquired and transmitted?

I have scoured the internet for info, but have come up with very little. Other than that this is simply the result of overgrowth of "normal" bacteria and that different strains are connected with botox, gangrene, bread and beer fermentation and the like.

I do not know which particular strain of clostridium was the culpret. But I am looking for others who have had experience with this.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Without knowing the species of Clostridium, you probably won't get very far. There is such a variety among the species, it'd be hard to say how it was acquired, why it caused the sudden death, etc. I mean, one species causes botulism, and one causes tetanus - there is loads of variety!
In general, they are a gas producing bacteria and can produce various exotoxins.

Did they have a full panel done too?

That type of issue is usually secondary to something considerably more nasty like bordetella or the mycotoxins that corn occasionally has issues with.

Then again, it could be unknown, in 2003 I had four die within two days of the same symptoms, nothing showed except an increased level of things that naturally occur in the gut. Same mucus covered squishy poo a few days before. Ran every test we could think of on them and the herd along with necropsies of each and it showed nothing.

Good luck.

How old was the animal? Could have been C. perfringens type A - enterotoxemia. Seems to happen more often in younger animals.

Last edited:
Chins can carry it silently- stress, illness, dental issues, bad diet etc. can cause a disruption of the bacterial colony, the bacteria flourishes and the sudden death is caused by enteric shock-the short version of events.

Did they have a full panel done too?

That type of issue is usually secondary to something considerably more nasty like bordetella or the mycotoxins that corn occasionally has issues with.

Then again, it could be unknown, in 2003 I had four die within two days of the same symptoms, nothing showed except an increased level of things that naturally occur in the gut. Same mucus covered squishy poo a few days before. Ran every test we could think of on them and the herd along with necropsies of each and it showed nothing.

Good luck.

Did you happen to notice a particular odor when your four chins passed?

The two that died were fairly young. Between 3-5 years old. The diet was questionable and they had recently been to the vet for a check up prior to the sudden deaths. I'm begining to wonder if it was hospital acquired, or perhaps having to do with bad feed.

*nods*

Thank you all for your input. The general information is readily available on the web, but what I'm looking for is some first hand experience with any of the strains of clostridium.

A full pannel was not done on these chins, so I'm shooting in the dark about which strain it is. I'm hoping to hear from someone who could pass on some more specifics about symptoms of a known strain they've had to deal with and what the final outcome was.

Back