Need help with skin sore on our dog

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tennyson

T&C Chinchillas
Two days ago my wife noticed a circular area of missing fur behind our dogs eye. We assumed it was ringworm because my wife got ringworm earlier in the week probably from a stray cat we took in for a few days. She put anti-fungal cream on the area but he quickly wiped it off and has been scratching at it. Most of the fur is now gone and the sore is raised, we're guessing because it's gotten infected because of his scratching. We're planning on taking him to the vet tomorrow (Sunday) if we can find an open one. But if anyone has any idea what it could possibly be or what we could do for him in the meantime, it doesn't look like he's suffering from it but who wants an open sore on their face? And it obviously bugs him because he digs at it every time we leave him alone for even a minute. Please help!
The first picture is when my wife first noticed it, it's hard to see because it was a cell phone picture. The second from this morning and the last from just a few minutes ago.

Attachments

• 1203001557a.jpg
    1203001557a.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 99
  • photo-3.jpg
    photo-3.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 87
  • DSCF2831.jpg
    DSCF2831.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 90
Yeah it definitely looks like it could be ringworm, and an e-collar would be a good idea to keep him from making it worse. I know some people have cut a hole in the bottom of a large bucket and tied it over the dog's head in a pinch.

If you don't have access to an e-collar, you could put booties on his back feet to prevent him from doing damage. The self clinging bandages that come in bright colors that vets use for casts and bandages would work well, just make sure not to wrap it too tight.

It could be ringworm or it could be an abscess...only a vet who sees him in person can say for sure. I'd get him in ASAP for a diagnoses and treatment and I would not try any home remedies. He could have reactions to the medications which would make the problem worse.

Back