Need Help with Sick Chin!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenjenn2005

I went to trim my chinchilla's teeth (this is a monthly thing, I always do on my own) and after I got her out I noticed she was breathing funny. It's almost like a whistling noise coming out of her nose and when i was holding her, it was almost like she wanted to puke but couldn't... heaving back and forth motion. Her breathing is really slow compared her cagemate. And sometimes she makes this noise almost like she's barking, but it's different from her actual bark noise. I have her out on my lap right now and normally she's pretty active but she isn't moving hardly at all. She lives in a cage with another chin and so it's hard to tell who's poo is who's but there is some extra small poo in the cage and while I've had her out her poo has been super small as well. I have an emergency vet who is 4 hours away, otherwise it won't be until Monday. Anyone have any ideas what this could be or what I should do?

I would call arond and get ans services to recommend someone. I know that URI's can take a chin down fast. If you wanted to take her to a vet, I would keep calling. Someone should be able to tell you where to go.

My E Vet is over an hour away as well.

He needs meds for a URI, if he has one. It could be related to what's going on with the teeth. I definitely agree, get in to see the vet as soon as you can. Even if you can talk your way into a vet that normally doesn't see chins, you should be able to get the medication you need for her.

Well after a long night, I finally know what is going on. The vet I took her to was not her normal vet, but she will be seeing her normal vet on Wednesday. It turns out she has GI stasis with the start of bronchitis. She was given SMZ-TMP, Reglan, Sub Q fluids, and Bupronex. So far she seems to be comfortable just really inactive compared to her normal self. I'm doing belly massages and warm compress on her tummy every few hours as well. Anyone have any other suggestions for GI stasis to get everything moving again? Thanks for your help!

Handfeeding often with Critical Care will be very important to keep high fiber food moving through her digestive system. Keeping her hydrated will be very important as well because if the bolus of food in her GI tracts gets too dry, it will become a hardened mass which the intestines will be unable to move. CC has water in it but you can give additional water through a dropper. The Sub Q fluids will be especially helpful as well. If you have probiotics on hand, I would also give her some between the antibiotic (SMZ-TMP) doses to help boost the populations of "good" bacteria which chinchillas and other hind-gut fermenters rely on for digestion.

The Reglan will work on motility in the upper GI tract, but you may want to ask your vet for propulsid if you are not getting any poos out of her. Propulsid works on the lower GI tract.

She's going to require a lot of handfeedings and massages around the clock to get her gut in working order. Did the vet do an X-ray to make sure there was no hardened mass or obstruction causing the stasis?

While I am all for SMZ, in the case of a URI it doesn't seem to be strong enough. I had a chin with a URI who was put on SMZ. Over the next two days he got worse and we almost lost him. He was then put on Baytril and within 24 hours he started showing signs of improvement.

With my chin I fed him every 4 hours, at least 20-30ml of CC. He had to be hand fed for the two weeks he was on Baytril. After the Baytril ended I weened him off the CC without an issue. I also added extra probiotics to the CC and gave him a dropper full of baby gas drops at every feeding.

Maisie took a turn for the worse and is now at her normal vet who specializes in exotics and she admitted her overnight and said she is very critical. She is starting her on stronger antibiotics and giving her fluids. How long does it usually take to see a turn around? She said at 24 hours I would need to make a decision as to what I wanted to do and I was just wondering how long I should give her for improvement with GI stasis and respiratory problems. I have the xrays as well if anyone wants to see them

You said they are giving her fluids and antibiotics, but are they syringe feeding him critial care? You may want to check to make sure. Her gut doesn't have a chance to start moving again uless their is something in there to move.

I just called the vet and she is being given critical care and timothy hay. She is also in an oxygen ICU with nebulization treatments. So far her breathing has improved but it has been 8 hours since her last poo.

It sounds like they are doing everything they can. Keep your fingers crossed. I've had chins pull through Bloat before with a whole lot of work on my part. It can happen. I hope for the best for your baby.

I nebulized Buttons when he had a URI and it did a huge world of difference.

Maisie is still at the vet until tomorrow. They upped her Sub Q fluids and her critical care. They were having to force feed her through a syringe and she hated it but after I took a spoon and showed them how I feed it to her at home she is eating like a champ. The question I still have is she GI problems along with a respiratory issue. Everything is getting closely back to normal except for this noise she is making. It gets worse when she eats, but it sounds like she is kacking or barking at me but it's not her normal bark. And she continuously does it. Could it be she feels sick so she just barks or is it like a cough? Has anyone seen this before? The vet isn't quite sure what it is, but said she isn't overly worried since everything is returning to normal.

If she does it when she is eating, maybe it is because it is hard for her to eat and breathe at the same time?

My chin got through bloat from the miracle drug cisapride that was formulated by a pharmacy. It took alot of work and hand feedings but he made it. It is prob much more difficult when trying to treat a URI along with it. I am praying for both of you!! I wish you 2 the best!! What are they giving her to treat the bloat?

Yesterday, Maisie had to be put asleep. In less than a week she lost over 50 grams and her breathing was continuously getting worse despite being able to find anything physically wrong, even through x-rays and thorough exams of her oral cavity.She recovered from bloat and stasis only to have it return within 24 hours. The vet believes she had a mass pressing on her esophagus and airway...

Back