Need advice, going out of town

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fanov8

Ok, so we are going out of town for about 4 days. My brother in law takes care of all of our animals while we are gone and always does a fantastic job. But since Pepper just delivered a kit yesterday (surprise) I'm scared to death to leave them here! We are taking our camper to stay in so they will be with us all the time. I don't have a smaller cage, ours is a FN 142. My question is do you think they will be ok in a cat/dog carrier for the 4 days or should I just buy another cage to keep them in? I know that the kit will not be able to get out of the carrier, but is it enough room for them? Any suggestions or ideas? Thanks a million!

I would be slightly iffy about a cat carrier since it is plastic and since you won't be there. If mom gets bored enough, she could start chewing and I have heard stories of chins chewing their way out of the carriers.

If you were going to be with her I would say it's okay, but since your bro is going to be there, he probably won't know what to do if she starts chewing.

To be safe I would get them a baby safe cage to stay in...but that's just me. :))

I think I read your post wrong. You WILL be taking them with you if you put them in the carrier. Ok!

I can't really comment on that, as I don't know how moms and babies do with traveling since I've never had any before ;)

Sorry for misreading!

I have gone camping with mine several times. I have also gone camping with a mom and kits because the mom wasn't supplying enough milk. I had to hand feed the kits. I have used a cat carier but you have to use the hard ware cloth on the front 'grids' because the kits can get out of that unless the grids are really small. I have also used a small wire cage for some.

i have used a small bird cage that i converted for a long weekend for a sick chin. i was able to fit a shelve and his tube & there was still enough room for food & water and a spot to pee.

I took 4 females and their babies with me to nationals this year in Ryerson carriers (1 female was recieving medication and 3 females needed assistance feeding their kits or foster kits) They did fine being there from Friday Morning till sunday evening.

Thanks guys! I love this forum and how helpful everyone is! I think we will try out the carrier (with hardware cloth over the front). If we think it's not going well then we can always stop at a Walmart or a petstore on the way or once we get there. Thanks again for the advice.

Back