Nail clipping

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

belabun

Hello, I just bought a Hedgie, but the breeder hasn't clipped its nails yet.. I want to clip them but I just got him yesterday and I don't want to put anymore stress on him.. I don't know what to do. Plus he won't even let me handle him yet.

photo2-2.jpg

Yep, they are in need of a trim, but not to an absolute panic point yet. So, since he's just come home, I'd let him settle down and get used to you for a little bit before going after his nails. Over the next few days, scoop him up for snuggle time. If he unballs for you during snuggle time, gently touch his little feet with your finger. If he allows that, then gently hold a foot for a moment and let it go. Just let him get used to you, your sound, your scent, the way you move, the fact that touching his cute little feet are a part of what the two of you do together...

In the meanwhile, get a pair of nail clippers if you don't already have some. I find that the little ones from the baby section of pharmacies/grocery stores work well with hedgies. Like this: http://www.amazon.com/Bebe-Dubon-Baby-Clipper-White/dp/B003LVYHKY
Mine came with the little plastic thing too (though different brand). I used it a few times like that, then just took the plastic thing off. Whatever works best in your hands.

Depending on how snuggletime with footsie touching is going AND how long his nails are getting, you'll find that either he'll present you with some opportunities to clip or he won't and his nails are reaching the danger zone. There are some things you can do if it's getting out of control... but let's first hope he'll let you touch his little feet and clip.

While you're doing it, be very zen about it. He may present a foot, then pull it back. Fourteen times. Your job is to remain calm and look upon each try as a learning opportunity. You want him to learn this whole nail clipping experience is going to be okay.

You may get just one nail on one day. Maybe two feet worth another day. Then nothing for several days other than a huffy hog who is expressing extreme disinterest in your attempts.

Back