My visit to the Chinchilla Museum at Bowen's Chinchilla Ranch

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

menagerie

Creative Genius
Yesterday RDZCRanch, her mom and I descended up on Gary Neubauer at Bowen's Chinchilla Ranch. Our first stop was to view the Chinchilla Museum. I took a lot of photos, but there was so much that I missed. I'm definitely going to have to make a return trip. We all had a good time and Tabatha went home with new chins.

Here are some highlights.

Dental Tools
IMG_3772-S.jpg

Early mutation garment
IMG_3773-S.jpg

Chinchilla library
IMG_3820-S.jpg

Chinchilla breeders meeting in 1950. So many more people involved back then because of the lure of making lots of money from pelting.
IMG_3776-S.jpg

Breeding collars, drip system and bottle spouts
IMG_3796-S.jpg

All of the photos can be found here.

A chinchilla brush from the 1960's. Can't imagine why it never caught on. hahahaha
IMG_3800-S.jpg

Dust ring from 1964.
IMG_3802-S.jpg

IMG_3803-S.jpg

Transport container for the original chins brought to the US.
IMG_3789-S.jpg

Very interesting! It's crazy how many people were involved back in the day! But I can see how that was. Even my great uncle had chins back in the day in hopes of getting money off them.

However, that chinchilla muzzle makes me laugh. Now I've seen everything! Who would have thought they'd make a muzzle for a chin?!

However, that chinchilla muzzle makes me laugh. Now I've seen everything! Who would have thought they'd make a muzzle for a chin?!

Back before polygamous breeding they used the muzzle during mating so the female wouldn't kill the male. Honestly though...if someone muzzled ME for mating...I'd want to kill some males too!:neener:

Gary's was a ton of fun! Thanks for coming with me Meanie! I love having people go with me but having people who ask awesome questions (Meanie) with you makes everything better!:kiss:

Thanks for posting the pics Meanie. The original transport cage (container) is pretty cool. You can see why some of those chin accessories didn't catch on, wow!

Nice pics! I can't believe Tab went home with more animals! LOL! The early mutation garment looks very Native American to me for some reason. I'm sure this was a real informative trip!

Very interesting topic. Thanks for sharing the pictures! I'll be sure to visit if I am out that way one day.

BTW: I did say "wow" out loud when I saw the original transport cage.

all i can say, is i am so glad we had people before us using those "devices"!! im sure they worked back then, but im happy with the advances we have made in the chin community!
looks like you three had a ton of fun! and thanks for the pictures!

Nice pics! I can't believe Tab went home with more animals! LOL! The early mutation garment looks very Native American to me for some reason. I'm sure this was a real informative trip!

The jacket was donated by a lady that traveled around Europe in it. I guess she wore it CONSTANTLY and even slept in it, lol! I am pretty sure it is at least 40 years old? Meanie might remember better than me...I was playing with chinnies mostly.:neener: The stinker had all these gorgeous, monster standard girls out around his grading room and I barely glanced at them and he told me not to look cause they aren't for me, lol. He had them out for grading so he could decide where to put them for breeding...stinker!

The original transport cage is pretty cool...it's big and bulky too. Gary said he doesn't think all the parts are original but it IS the cage...just modified a bit so it still looks nice, lol.

Also...there's a chin next to the dust ring that was carved out of stone. Gary said it was made by some guy down in Chile that is a protector for the Chincha people's lands I think?? Gary was proud to be "the only Gringo that has one" :laughitup:

im so confused about the dust stones... do they just roll around in it and it dusts them? dont make fun of me!

im so confused about the dust stones... do they just roll around in it and it dusts them? dont make fun of me!

The Dust ring from 1964 or the rocks labeled "Blue Cloud"?? The dust ring would sit upright in the cage and the chins jumped through the hole. Doing this would leave some dust on their fur and "clean" them, lol. Gary thinks they probably chewed on the rings more than they jumped through them to dust. The rocks labeled "Blue Cloud" are what Blue Cloud dust comes from...the rocks get ground into a fine dust which we use for the chinnies.

The Dust ring from 1964 or the rocks labeled "Blue Cloud"?? The dust ring would sit upright in the cage and the chins jumped through the hole. Doing this would leave some dust on their fur and "clean" them, lol. Gary thinks they probably chewed on the rings more than they jumped through them to dust. The rocks labeled "Blue Cloud" are what Blue Cloud dust comes from...the rocks get ground into a fine dust which we use for the chinnies.

i figured that with the blue cloud..
that is so funny about the rings. very...inventive?

Also...there's a chin next to the dust ring that was carved out of stone. Gary said it was made by some guy down in Chile that is a protector for the Chincha people's lands I think?? Gary was proud to be "the only Gringo that has one"

ahhhh.........so that commercial is true!! i must now celebrate chinchilla day!!! (okay i celebrate everyday)

OMG! Being that close to so much chinchilla history would be wonderful. I'm officially jealous :p

Thank you for posting those photos Meanie - they are all very interesting. :)

Latest posts

Back