My two gorgeous boys PICS

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ETC

HOME OF EXTREME MOSAICS!
I would like to introduce SKUNK, ebony white tov boy from KEGS that I bought from JAGS, and DRAGON my extra dark homo ebony male that I got from Burgess Chinchillas here in Canada.

They are the best of friends. I took pictures of them today in the "holding cage" where I put them when I clean their big cage, and I had to share the pictures.
They are so sweet, love people, and they love eachother.
They are truly special guys.

IMG_3157.jpg

IMG_3160.jpg

IMG_3163.jpg

IMG_3164.jpg

Beautiful boys! Say your white ebony kind of looks like Grim, the one still waiting for a home.... (the on you liked) Sure wish you weren't so far away! Congrats on your newest additions.

They are so precious, and HANDSOME! I especially love the white boy...what a looker!

In the last picture Skunk looks like he has a definite hunchback. You can see a hint of it in the next to last picture, where it looks as though he has bones protruding, but you definitely see a huge dip between his head and the hump on his back in the last picture.

I will take more pics for you Tunes He is one of my smaller chins but is not boney. When he came in from Jags he was smaller than I expected but I love him to pieces. He is super sweet. He has a good appetite and is very active but he is not in breeding so i dont mind that he is smaller. Most of my chins are between 700 and 1000 grams. It is hard to get an accurate weight on him as he doesn't sit still but Dragon is about 700 grams beside him.

Last edited:
I think in the third picture Skunk was crouching ready to jump as I looked at him here and he doesn't appear to have a hunchback. Yes, he does need fattening up, and I plan on doing that. My chins get chunky here in a hurry.....I feed oxbow hay and pellets as well as critical care when needed.
Here are more pictures, hope it shows what he really looks like. Also another pic of Dragon too, to show his amazing black fur.

skunkbestpic.jpg

skunk2.jpg

skunk1-1.jpg

armanidraighean-1.jpg

Is the third one up (in the cage with a blue tray) an older pic? He definitely has hunchback there and in some of the previous pics. It's almost always from kidney issues, wether it be dehydration from a long trip or toxin buildup from a feed that didn't go well with him at his previous home. How long have you had him?

Often getting them on a good diet will help it go away on it's own over the course of a couple of weeks- months for really bad cases.

Hi Spoof, the pic of him in the blue cage is the day I got him.....the one in the above pic was taken a few minutes ago. I don't notice a hunchback on him at all now, he has finished his quarantine.
Thanks for the heads up on that hunchback can disappear with good diet....he is definitely chubbier now than when I got him.
He is a KEGS chin that I got from Jags. The blue cage was a quarantine cage.....it was the older pic. But the pic third from the top is when he was ready to jump off the house.

I'm not talking about bony - I'm talking about hunchback/kidney issues. =) I can see that he had some and is still getting over them. His back does not join at the right angle behind his ear/head. It's something you learn to see after breeding for awhile.

For example, here's a male I pulled out to take pictures of (and sell) and it became very obvious that he was dehydrated and hadn't been drinking. Not too surprising as a couple of his females were in heat and he was in pursuit of other many duties. I isolated him and he was back to normal in a couple days.

Look at how his back is crooked/flat in the second picture. He's holding himself that way due to pain. In the first picture a few seconds earlier he looked normal. He had a very mild case.

Attachments

• EbWhHunchBack.jpg
    EbWhHunchBack.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
I'm not talking about bony - I'm talking about hunchback/kidney issues, and I can see that he had some and is still getting over them. His back does not join at the right angle behind his ear/head. It's something you learn to see after breeding for awhile.

For example, here's a male I pulled out to take pictures of (and sell) and it became very obvious that he was dehydrated and hadn't been drinking. Not too surprising as a couple of his females were in heat and he was in pursuit of other many duties. I isolated him and he was back to normal in a couple days.

Look at how his back is crooked/flat in the second picture. He's holding himself that way due to pain. In the first picture a few seconds earlier he looked normal. He had a very mild case.

Just FYI - it's not about being fat or bony.

Hi there, I know hunchback doesn't have to do with boney....I just referred to that since Tunes had mentioned in one picture that he looked boney....

He has fattened up a lot after quarantine, and I do not see a hunchback on him at all, definitely saw one in the older picture, but not anymore. Lets hope he continues to improve....as he eats and drinks normally and is super active.
thanks.

Thank you Tara, I'm glad I wasn't the only one who saw it. It was VERY pronounced in that one picture and I doubt jumping had anything to do with it. There is a huge gap between his head and his body, with a large flat spot where his neck is elongated.

I would still monitor him. He doesn't look as bad in different shots, but that could simply be because of the way he's standing. Unless you know what you're looking for, you could completely miss it. And yes, he is very small. I hope you weren't planning on using him for breeding. He's cute, but he's pet only from those pictures.

Back