My new Hedgehog is awake during the day?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TattooMommy

Hello!
I am new to this site, but I am really glad they have a place like this, it looks like it's very helpful :)
I got my first Hedgie (Pokey) 4days ago. He is 5months old I was told..
He is still warming up a bit -which was expected. The past few days he was sleeping all day and up for a few hours late, late at night. Last night I wanted to see him before I went to bed, at midnight, but he still wasn't awake. So, I woke him up with a strawberry and got my first little lick on the hand from him:heart5: then he went right back to sleep...this morning at 5am he was awake and playing, and hes still awake now, (11:00am) so my question is...
Could he just be getting use to his new place, and maybe the owner before switched his sleep schedule??
Not a huge worry, just curious

Could be a few different things - like adapting to a new schedule, new human, new environment; his own biorhythm is different from other hedgies; he's blind...

My guess is that if you provide a good structured schedule for Pokey (ie, turning the light off, getting him up for a snuggle and snack time, and making sure his wheel is ready to go around the same time every night; turning the light on, washing poopy feet, and putting him to bed around the same time every morning), he'll come around to a "normal" sleep-wake cycle in time. For now, enjoy watching your little one play in the light - not many of us get to see that too much.

Of course, if you're seeing something else going on - scratching, sneezing, messy poops, or other behaviors that suggest he's up because he's sick, then that warrants a different response. But, by itself, a funny sleep-wake schedule in a "new" hedgie is something I'd just keep tabs on without trying to intervene.

sounds good! Hes actually gone back to sleep, for the day I believe.. He is acting normal, and I got to see him play with the toilet paper tube on his nose for a while lol that was so cute, he actually took a little nap in it for a few minutes!

since I have you here..what kind of food do your Hedgies eat? The lady I got him from, didn't tell me too much about him, and gave me some food in a Tupperware container so im not exactly sure what kind it is, but he dosent like it much...(or hes still adjusting)?

Welcome to the group!! There's lots of good info here and please feel free to introduce yourself in our introductions thread. We love to hear about your new pet.

Awake during the day is not cause for concern all by itself. Especially if he is young, they will tend to sleep more and he may have overslept, or as you pointed out been kept on a different schedule.

That being said, how is he doing otherwise? Good appetite, eating lots of kibble? And everyone's fav - How's the poop?

Welcome fellow SE Michigan hedgehog owner.

There are a lot of different foods we feed. Take a look in the diet section to get an idea. Most hedgehog specific foods are not good food for our hedgehogs, you'll find most of us feed high quality, low fat cat foods.

Just figured out how to post a reply, lol..
He is pretty normal otherwise, I actually got to see him playing with his nose on the toilet paper roll, and it was adorable! He actually took a nap in it for a few minutes :)
As for him eating, he really isn't..I was thinking maybe hes just adjusting, but I think im going to change it to a good cat food..any brands that are preferred??
I have no idea what kind he is on as of now. The lady who I got him from gave me his food in a Tupperware container, and I didn't think to ask.
He did take a few meal worms from me, but he wasn't interested in his strawberry or his normal food, and he is drinking water just fine.
As for his poo- I haven't seen very much, but it looks like hamster poo? lol

Oh wow... completely missed the Saline, MI location. Super-welcome then ;)

Hamster poo... is that like pellets? Healthy hedgie poo is like a rich chocolatey-brown log.

Here's the link to the food list in this forum... I'm sure you'd be able to find it in a bit, but I decided to make it easy: http://chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2936

When you change food, do it gradually. Unless his current food is unsafe (eg, nuts, raisins, stuff for herbivores), keep him on it this week as he adjusts to his new environment. Then next week, use ~1/4 new food and ~3/4 old food. The following week half new and half old (provided the first week went okay; ie, not having green poops). Then 3/4 new to 1/4 old the week after that (again, providing the previous week went okay). Then all new.

Back