My new cage

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChinchillaSteve

Property of Stevie!
My new cage.
The shelfs are metal but i'm going to cover them with fleece in the winter.

Attachments

• P8131914.jpg
    P8131914.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 122
  • P8131920.jpg
    P8131920.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 95
Nice cage! I would remove the ramps and add lots of ledges :)). The ramps pose a leg injury threat and your chinnie can jump up there fine without them. I added ledges though to make for more hopping opportunities which the chinnies can't get enough of. It's a nice big cage though :thumbs:!

it's a nice big cage:) and I agree it's better to take the ramps out and add more wood ledges all around, your chins will love it.
BTW, is this a temp location for the cage? Otherwise, don't be surprised to find flying poos on stove top and even in the oven! :rofl: And make sure there's no draft coming from that big sunny window.

Oops I just saw Stevie's pic in another thread of yours, I think your cage is located in laundry room not kitchen? If so, then watch out for flying poos get into your freshly washed clothes LOL~ And Stevie's a cute chinnie, she's lucky to have you as a new owner to take good care of her. ^_^

Looks good! I agree about removing the ramps- I have heard way too many stories of chins getting their legs caught and their owners finding them dangling from the ramps, having to get their legs amputated even.

Stevie would love a bunch of smaller ledges to bounce around her cage in, and I bet she'd love a fleece tube and some other fleece things as well ;)

Steve - you can cover, or replace, the shelves with the appropraite size kiln dried pine, and put them almost anywhere! They love to chew them, too!
Loose the ramps, or wrap them with 1/4 x 1/4 "hardware screen". [don't know what you may call it out there] Avoids broken legs! With enough shelves, they won't be used.
With the tall height of the inside, you might want to put a hammock across the middle, to avoid long falls, too!
Good luck with it - your chins will love the space!
P.S. - The fleece will slide on the metal in the winter!

Last edited:
I think everyone's covered the ramp issues and ledges. I agree with Stackie, my boys love their fleece tube. Otherwise, that is a huge cage, very roomy for Stevie. :))

About the fleece falling off, as you maybe can see he has a blanky on the upper platform I secured it with some iron wire with the sharp edges outside the cage and taped them :)

Steve - you can cover, or replace, the shelves with the appropraite size kiln dried pine, and put them almost anywhere! They love to chew them, too!
Loose the ramps, or wrap them with 1/4 x 1/4 "hardware screen". [don't know what you may call it out there] Avoids broken legs! With enough shelves, they won't be used.
With the tall height of the inside, you might want to put a hammock across the middle, to avoid long falls, too!
Good luck with it - your chins will love the space!
P.S. - The fleece will slide on the metal in the winter!

I'm looking for a 2nd chin at the moment, when she arrives I'll make all the adjustments needed.
For now i'll start by taking out the metal shelves

Are you planning on doing intro's or just putting her in there? I would hope you take those ramps out sooner rather then later, but that is your call.

That cage looks awesomly huge and roomie for chinnies otherwise :D

The metal shelves are okay, just add some wood in there too so they can chew.

Hey also, what many people dont mention is that you can cover the ramps as opposed to removing them. Some chins like them and putting fleece on them (you would have to sew them) they are safe.

or put wood behind them if you are handy. my chins have both ramps & ledges and they use them both. i agree about the fleece tube, i can't get one my chin out!!

Back