My kit is here!! :-)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FL415

I'm so excited to have him! He's 9 weeks old, 338g, and an active little bugger.

I saw him eat and drink, but haven't seen any poo yet though, and it's been a couple of hours. Should I be concerned, or is this normal for a kit coming into a new home?

Still deciding on names...I was going to name him Earl Warren, but my boyfriend isn't a fan. :-(

Also, another question--I had two sick chins running around my apartment and rugs in the past few months. It's been a little while, and I did clean to the best of my ability, but I'm worried somehow their illnesses are still "active" somehow, somewhere, in crevices I couldn't reach or in my rug. Is this totally nuts? For example, could giardia be contagious/active in a two-month-old piece of poo in a corner somewhere? Could a URI or pneumonia virus be "left" somewhere? I replaced all his stuff--cage, food, water bottle, etc. to be safe, but I can't help worrying that he could get infected somehow if he were to run around my apartment. (I'm not going to let him run around my apartment as I know they're not supposed to have free playtime yet, but if for any reason he jumped out of the cage and hid under the same spots my old chins did.)

Thanks,
Neurotic Chin Mommy

First: Grats on your new kit!

Second: PICS!

Third: I don't have an answer to your questions, but I'm sure someone will!

Fourth: PICSSSSS :crazy:

Not sure if the photo worked in the original post...

Attachments

• photo (2).jpg
    photo (2).jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 50
Congrats on your new baby!

It's probably nerves. Mochi didn't poop when I took her to the vet the first time (freaked me out). Also, when I moved her cage to another room, she stopped pooping in it, and would save the majority of her poop for play time. Now that she's back in her old room, she's pooping like a champ. Spoiled brat...

I know it's hard, but try leaving him alone for a couple of days to let him get comfortable. Don't even sit near him. And make sure he has somewhere to hide. If you don't see any poops later tonight or tomorrow, then maybe there's something to worry about.

As far as the old germs go, I honestly don't know. If it's been over a month, I would think it's probably okay? I am certainly no expert on this.

Thanks Lirana!

He was very active and crazy when we first got him 5 hours ago, but for the last 3 hours or so he's stayed very still in his hidey tube. And NO poops! Zero! Starting to concern me...

First, calm down. Your nervousness and worry are probably making him more nervous. Most chinchillas will not eat or drink for the first couple of days. If they are not eating, then there is no poop. If you do not see poop by the third day, you will need to have him checked. By the way, what are you using for bedding? His poops could easily be hidden in the bedding, especially if they are small cue to not eating.

As far as whether he can catch something that your other chins had a month or more ago, it is very unlikely. Most germs or parasites do not last that long outside a living organism.

Back