My Hoglets :)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wanted to take pictures this afternoon, but mama hedgie didn't wanna leave her babies - even for food so I didn't disturb them. I'll see if Hannah is more hungry tonight!
Nancy - its amazing Hannah is most protective of the littlest one, I even saw her push away the others and bring him closer yesterday! It's amazing how her maternal instincts have kicked in. And by supplementing him do you mean syringe feeding him?
Thanks for all the kind words guys! This has been an amazing experience and I'm glad I can share it on this forum :)

Ok be ready for a cute overload!!!!! (WARNING LAST PICTURE MAY BE CONSIDERED GRAPHIC)

Number One
Hoglet2.jpg

Hoglet33.jpg

Number Two (sorry about the bad lighting)
Hoglet3.jpg

And finally the littlest guy!!
Hoget11.jpg

GRAPHIC PIC ( click for full size)

So the other day that front leg was not discolored about the black area... I also don't get a close look at it everytime I peek, she is mostly under Hannah. Looks like a girl! (Please correct me if I am wrong they are still tiny and these are my first babies) Any input is appreciated. A vet is looking at that picture tomorrow.

They are ADORABLE! I think they are the first babies I have seen. It's great news that mom is taking such good care of them.

Their quills are actually not prickly...yet...they are feel like little hairs! Today was my first time holding them and it was quick - only for a pic or two. I can't wait to hold them longer. Hannah didn't seem to mind either, she started nursing them as soon as I put them back!! :)

So I just got off the phone with my mentor. I sent her that picture of the little one's leg. She says that it looks like gangrene and he is most likely not get better, he will just keep getting worse. I am at a loss of what to do - I was so excited that he appeared to be getting bigger and stronger. Sorry for the bad news. :(

Any advice on what I could do would be greatly appreciated. I would happily pay for surgery, but he's too young....and if it is gangrene he won't last till 6 weeks at the rate it has been going...

Take him to the vet and see what he thinks or can you send pictures to your vet. Antibiotics might give him a chance. Basically, that is the only chance he has and it certainly won't hurt to try antibiotics or whatever you vet might suggest.

Poor wee baby.

Poor wee one. I'm not a breeder, but my initial instinct is to talk to the vet and see what he has to say. There may be nothing you can do, but even if there is something that is risky at least it is giving the wee one a shot.

Even with the ugly little leg, all of those images are just too precious. I love hedgehog baby images. They bring back wonderful memories of when my first had babies.

The little guy is going to the vet either Thursday or Friday (whenever they have an opening). I sent a picture to the vet today and am waiting to hear back from her. Hopefully she has some ideas on what to do!

We are keeping our quills crossed here and sending lots of warm healing glow for her. Hopefully the vet will have some ideas and that they will work!

I talked to the vet today, she said that I shouldn't bring Ebba (the littlest hoglet) in as that would be way too much stress for her at this time and could make her health worse. I sent her all the pictures that I had of Ebba's leg - from the beginning until now - and she said that Ebba definately has a very bad infection and it could possibly be gangrene. For now Ebba will be on a broad spectrum antibiotic (Ebba is only 18g so it will only be a tiny drop) and it will be started tomorrow when I pick it up. I am hoping that this antibiotic will keep her alive long enough for her to get old enough to do more. Please keep little Ebba in your thoughts as these next few weeks will be a critical time for her!

Keeping paws and fingers crossed for little Ebba over here. I really hope the antibiotic helps her out. Sounds like you are doing all you can for her, like a responsible breeder should. ;) Keep up the good work!

We will have all fingers and paws crossed at our house. I hope all goes well with her. You are doing a great job.

I talked to the vet today, she said that I shouldn't bring Ebba in as that would be way too much stress for her at this time and could make her health worse.
I paid a livestock vet extra money to come to my house put my cat of 16 years to sleep so she would be happier and not stressed. Perhaps you could see about your vet making a house call too.

If needed I would definately ask about a house call!

I have a question for anyone who had handfed hoglets - how do you get a syringe into their mouth while they are trying to ball up??? My friend who works as a vet tech at the vet office surprised me a delivered the antibiotic (Baytril) to my house, each dose already in a syringe ready to go. The syringe is an insulin syringe with the needle broken off because that is the smallest they could find, however I cannot get the medicine into Ebba's mouth. Should I get pippettes and mix the antibiotic with a drop of goat's milk??

I cant answer your question, I dont have HH's. I just wanted to send well wishes and tell you to keep up the good work! They are precious!

I am also unable to answer the question, but just wanted to say I have all paws, fingers, toes, etc. crossed here as well. I also wanted to say I had never seen baby hoglets and they have to be the cutest things EVER.

Back