My blind chinchillas cage...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OpalRaven7

51h5Y9dL3AL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I hope I put the picture in right... This is the cage I have Ash in, he is blind but had been doing really well and navigates this cage like he can see! :thumbsup: His favorite spot is the top shelf and his food and water are on the first shelf. He is my first chinchilla so if anyone has any advice on things to make his home better feel free to let me know!!:)

** Moderator note (Kalandra): I fixed the link to the image for you. **

I've never worked with any type of blind animal. But I wouldn't change anything in the cage once I set it up. That way when your little one "popcorns" or wall surfs he won't bump into anything.
I might be inclined to put a water bottle on both upper and lower areas. Good luck with the little one. I'm sure he will be spoiled rotten!

Congrats on the new chin! :) I love his name.
Now, if those shelves are plastic, you can't have them in there anymore if your chinchilla chews on them, because plastic can kill them. Not all chinchillas chew plastic, but most will. It the shelves are wire, make sure the spacing is VERY small because they can get their feet caught and break their leg. If the wire spacing is small enough, it could also be rough on their feet so you could wrap fleece around them. Most people just get rid of those shelves anyways, and replace them with wooden ones. You can put tons of fleece in there to make him cozy (no other fabrics are safe), and some wooden chew toys and such. Good luck with your new boy! :) :)

Our little blind girl goes all over her cage without any problems. I was afraid to put her in a multi level cage but she showed me by going into the other chins cage during playtime and hopping all over the levels. So now she is in huge cage and happy.
She rearranges her cage to suit herself by moving her food, houses, and hay box.

I would just say maybe have some wood cut to fit over the wire shelves, and fleece to cover the ramp, along with perhaps a fleece cover for the bottom, but other wise it looks great!

Back